Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > how do i set up compact cam on adapter

flyyellow

hi all, i just joined hoping to get some basic advice.

i wear glass thus when i use my scope a Bushnell Elite i roll back over the eyepiece  the rubber cup on the eye piece do i leave it rolled when i digiscope or do i leave it as though i didn't wear glasses?

also how close to the eyepiece should i position the zoomed out camera?

right now i've used a 30x eyepiece. i have the original zoom eyepiece should i use that its a 20-60?

i've been trying to image birds a km away and the result out of focus. i use a p 340 and self timer and manual focus. i have a jobu head.

any tips would be well recieved. thanks

July 18, 2014 at 2:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi there,

Thanks for your questions, I'll try to help!

Which adapter are you using please?

I would leave the eyecup rubber up as if you didnt wear glasses. When you put your camera on the adapter make sure it is turned off and positioned at the back of the adapter. Its important that you have as much space as possible to turn your camera on so that it doesnt risk damaging your camera or your eyepiece.

Once the camera is turned on then you can position it behind the eyepeice. When all vignetting is relieved then you can leave your camera fixed in place and can then turn it on and off as you like without risking damage.

Use your 30 fixed eyepiece if you can.

A Km away is far to far away! I usually aim to digiscope within 20-30 meters maximum. Focussing over distance presents us with many issues. Movement caused by wind, or the subject moving, but the main factor for me is what we, as the digiscoper can see. The more subject detail that we can see with our own eye whilst focussing, the better our images will be. If you can't see the detail, how on earth are you ever meant to know when the subject is sharp?!

Try digiscoping some close up stuff, you'll see the difference. Trust me :)

Good Luck with your digiscoping ventures

Danny

--
July 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

flyyellow

Dannys Digiscoping at July 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for your questions, I'll try to help!

Which adapter are you using please?

I would leave the eyecup rubber up as if you didnt wear glasses. When you put your camera on the adapter make sure it is turned off and positioned at the back of the adapter. Its important that you have as much space as possible to turn your camera on so that it doesnt risk damaging your camera or your eyepiece.

Once the camera is turned on then you can position it behind the eyepeice. When all vignetting is relieved then you can leave your camera fixed in place and can then turn it on and off as you like without risking damage.

Use your 30 fixed eyepiece if you can.

A Km away is far to far away! I usually aim to digiscope within 20-30 meters maximum. Focussing over distance presents us with many issues. Movement caused by wind, or the subject moving, but the main factor for me is what we, as the digiscoper can see. The more subject detail that we can see with our own eye whilst focussing, the better our images will be. If you can't see the detail, how on earth are you ever meant to know when the subject is sharp?!

Try digiscoping some close up stuff, you'll see the difference. Trust me :)

Good Luck with your digiscoping ventures

Danny

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your speedy reply and sensible advice.

i tried to get answers from Nikon Canada .. but not much help. i mentioned the bird was about 1/2 k -1 km away but it didn't phase them.

i think you're right much to far away. thanks.

i do think i'll try 20-30 meters away.

btw should the camera's focusing and spotting scope be centered on subject to i can use peaking on p340? manual for camera doesn't say much about how to use it effectively: can u help me out?

thanks

Fly

July 18, 2014 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Its worth a try. Always have your subject in the centre of the frame though as thats where it needs to be for best focussing results.

I hope this helps and let me know how you get on!!

Regards,

Danny

--
July 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.