Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Tips > After dark.

muleyman

I was out running around the other day.

The sun went down, but it was that time of the evening when the sun has dipped below the horizon, but the sky still has some light to it.

You could not see animals against the hillside, but along the skyline, there was a few Mature, Mule Deer bucks.

I stopped, pulled out the binoculars, saw that one was a very nice buck. So I decided to digiscope him.

These are the images.

Settings were........

Whitebalance set to cloudy. There was no clouds, and I had to change the setting from daylight. I figured cloudy would be closest to the needed setting. I dont have a setting for no light.

ISO set to 800. Usually I get noise issues with higher ISO settings, but where this was going to be a silhouette, I figured it would not matter. I needed a higher setting due to the lack of light.

Shutter speed set to 1/4. Thats quite a long setting. But again, darkness required it. I ended up taking about 10 photos. 4 ended up working, the rest were non usable, due to movement from the subject. I did get some interesting blur images.

Scope power zoomed to 45X due to the distance involved. 700 yards, or 630 meters, roughly. I also cropped these photos, its a little more than half of the original image.

I must admit, I liked the way they turned out. 

I almost did not do it. But, I am glad I did. 

Just goes to support the idea that you won't get anyting if you don't try. And, the more odd things you practice, the more unique images you capture.

December 24, 2014 at 9:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muleyman

One other phenomenon you may notice here. 

The upper right corners are dark. 

This is actual Vignetting. Its caused by the light at the edges of the scope taking longer to reach the camera than the light at the center of the scope.

Its gets more noticable with low light and longer exposures like we had in this instance. 

Lots of digiscopers expirience what I like to call "eye relief ring". Some call it a mechanical vignette. 

Caused by the camera lens seeing the outter ring of the eye piece on the scope. Zooming the camera closer to the eyepiece typically fixes this.

But, what you are seeing there is true photographic vignette. 

Caused by the shape of the lens (scope) and the distance the light has to travel to get to the camera.

Just a little thing I thought might interest some folks.

December 24, 2014 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Superb post. I love the way you want to digiscope anything!

--
December 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.