Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Sticky: Celestron Regal 80 F-ED, My Thoughts

TheBirdGarden

I finally got my hands on the Celestron Regal 80 F-ED, a scope Celestron claim is the best they offer, Not many people talk about this scope and have no idea how it peforms as a digiscoping set. There are some reviews on the internet but just about the scope, now I won't go into specifics because maybe like me you just want to know how it peforms as a scope. So big technical words will not be found here.

Celestron Regal 80 F-ED  Review

I have gradually upgraded my scope to get better results, I started with a Camlink CSP80 a cheap, affordable scope I wanted to see if digiscoping was for me and being me I got tempted to take it to the next level. I then bought a Celestron Ultima 80ED a Scope that you can say is inbetween Celestron's just Ultima Range and its Regal range and then without taking any risks (getting a scope by a different brand) I bought a Celestron Regal 80 F-ED the best offered by Celestron.

The eyepiece is different to the Ultima and the Ultima Ed series, it feels widers larger and better built with a locking mechanism to secure the eyepiece to the scope. With Celestron it is all about simplicity and just like thier Ultima series the eyecup comes off to reveal a thread. As I said the eyepiece is different and the thread is a different size to that of the ultima series but it comes with a little and I mean little adapter that allows you to fit anything that already fitted on your Ultima scope.

The weight for some reason has been a big issue for Celestron Scopes but not from me, I don't get the people who say Celestron's scopes are too heavy, I have checked and the Celestron Regal 80 F-ED is only 500g heavier than the Swarovski scope. The scope is just fine and most of the weight is let off when it is being carried on a tripod so you will most likely not suffer a back ache.

The zoom dial is just.....I don't why but I just want to say gorgeus, the zoom itself is okay but the dial is so smooth it will give you the best control over what zoom you would like. The focus knobs differ from that of the Ultima series, for starters there are two knobs on the Celestron Regal 80 F-ED one for coarse focusing and one for fine focus. This got me worried when I first heard about this thinking this would be way to fiddly for any kind of digiscoping but to put it simple you may never need to use the fine focus for anything for digiscoping. The focus knobs work by if twisting the coarse knobs the fine focus will follow it.

Now to the lens itself and this is from an amateurs point of view. Comparing to the Ultima ED the colours are more accurate, more detailed and more focused it couldn't get any better than that, I will be trying to get pictures as examples but not just any pictures I want this scope to get what it deserves.

For example pics https://www.facebook.com/GeraintRobsonWildlifePhotography" target="_blank">visit my website

For more technical reviews GOOGLE : Celestron Regal F-ED Review

--

July 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Great post Birdy,

Thanks for the info,

We'll look forward to seeing your results.

One question,

How steady does this set up feel on your tripod?

--
July 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBirdGarden

Dannys Digiscoping at July 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Great post Birdy,

Thanks for the info,

We'll look forward to seeing your results.

One question,

How steady does this set up feel on your tripod?

It feels more steady than the Ultima ED I used on the same tripod this is more probably due to the extra weight that holds it down.

I am trying to get pictures of the actual scope itself I just need another camera do that though.....and batteries

--

July 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mouseatwork

Thanks for a great review of the Regal 80 F-ED. I'm a complete newbie to digiscoping and have recently bought said scope. Now I want to connect my Nikon D3100 but I already fail at connecting the supplied T-adapter! It says in the manual to twist the eyecup anticlockwise to reveal threads, but all it seems to be doing is taking the eyepiece apart. I have searched several forums and nobody seems to have a problem with connecting DSLR to the scope. Am I just being extremely stupid? Can you tell me how exactly you connect your camera? I do ahve the Nikon T ring but already fail at the very first step... Thanks!

December 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi There,

Welcome, and thanks for your question.

Have a look HERE

Scroll down a bit and then, on the right is a .pdf download. It is the manual for your scope. It tells you how to reveal the T Thread.

From what I see you need to pull the eyepiece rubber off gently, and then turn the top of the eyepiece anti clockwise. This should reveal a thread (the T thread) that your Nikon T2 adapter should screw too.

Then attach your camera and you'll be ready to take a few test shots!!

See how you get on, and if you need more help then come back to me!

Regards,

Danny.

--
December 20, 2011 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mouseatwork

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the quick reply! I did follow the instructions from the manual but must be doing something wrong as I seem to be taking part of the lens off in the process, rather than just the eyecup. The exposed threads are female 42mm, and the supplied adapter doesn't fit. I'm sure I'm just doing something really silly! I have emailed Celestron, will see what they say. Will post some pics if I ever get it to work! Great website by the way, really convinced me to try digiscoping!

Thanks,
Isabella

December 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner
Thanks for the compliment, I'm touched that I inspire you a little. It sounds like you have it right. You should expose a 42mm thread, it should be the size you need for your Nikon T2 adapter. So, you are pulling off the eyepiece rubber and then unscrewing the top of the eyepiece yes? I'm sure you're nearly there. Let me know, Regards, Danny
--
December 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner
Hi again, Can you tell me about this adapter please? Is it a Nikon T2 mount or something that came with the scope? Thanks!!
--
December 22, 2011 at 11:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Me yet again!!

From what I read, Celestron provide a T adapter with the scope. I assume this attaches the the thread that is revealed when you unscrew the eyepiece? If it does, does it this adapter then have a thread that something else can be attached to?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get my head around how this this set up works!!

Thanks,

Danny.

--
December 22, 2011 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBirdGarden

Right....even though I say right I can be absolutley clueless at this who knows, i'll give it my best shot though. On the Celestron regal if I remember the eyecup just screws off I think. I have attached a picture to what it should look like with the eye cup off. Also in the picture I have boxed this 'thing' this came with the scope and as soon as I screwed it on it doesn't come off....I am sure danny might be able to help you to what this 'thing' is but I say a picture is worth a thousand words

--

December 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

mouseatwork

Hello again,

Thanks to both of you for your helpful replies! Sorry for not replying earlier, the holiday season was crazy... It turned out that my eyepiece was faulty and when I tried to expose the T-threads I took the eyepiece apart. Sent it back to the seller (Harrison telescopes, great service and prices!) and they promptly repaired it. I got it back today and it works nicely :) I managed to take some test shots through the kitchen window and get okay-ish results! Now I'm just waiting for a nice day to take it out for a proper go.Will keep you posted :)

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!!

Isabella

January 4, 2012 at 8:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Happy New Year!!

And well done, You've taken your first steps!

Please keep us posted on your progress, and I'm really glad we helped, its what we're here for!!

All the best,

Danny.

--
January 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lee fletcher

Hi Everyone,

I've ordered a Celestron Regal 100 F-ED 45 today from Sherwoods and their guy Matt Frost told me there is quite a "knack" at revealing the thread below the eye cup.  He told me to phone him when the scope arrives, which is in the morning apparently hows that for service, and he will talk me through the proceedure.  So as soon as I know, I will relay this information on here for all.  

Kind Regards,

Lee

--
February 1, 2012 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Lee,

That would be great!

I'm not sure myself how the Regal adapter works, but a step by step guide would be valuable info for all.

They are a great scope, and I'm already intrigued to see your pictures!!

Keep us posted mate :D

Regards,

Danny.

--
February 1, 2012 at 4:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi again Lee,

THIS may help you as well!!

There are some useful diagrams.

Regards,

Danny.

--
February 1, 2012 at 4:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lee fletcher

Hi Danny, and All,

Well the "huge" scope arrived and I've been messing around with it.  Tried to get through to my man to go over the eye cup whatsit but this guy is always on the phone so decided to go it alone.  How hard could it be methought?  I've got the instructions thanks Danny they came with the scope.  Anyway, I took off the eye cup to expose the threads below absolutely no problem.  On-off. On-off On-off I must have done this 20 times until my bemused wife asked if I was going crazy??!!  Upshot was, its a doddle to take the eye cup off and on.  Now when I orded the scope I also ordered the T Thread filter adapter to fit the p5000 lens adapter that I have ordered elsewhere as the guy did not stock these which I'm waiting to arrive.  

Given that the eye cup comes off a doddle, I screwed on the thread filter adapter.  Whith me so far guys?  On-off On-off On-off and so on for enough times to have the wifes eyes rolling back in her head with mutterings about making a comparison to a child with a Mecano set and me!!!   What is it with women?  No problem with the adapter going on and off or putting the eye cup back on and off. So far so good.

Apart from the Nikon P5000, I also own a Cannon EOS 400d and a Nikon D40x which many of you will probably recall went head to head around 2007 for the top spot for cameras in that price bracket.  Anyway, I already have a T Mount for the Cannon so decided to attach the T Mount to the T Thread filter ring on the scope as the threads matched so I could have a play with the Cannon on the scope.  I screwed on the T Mount and screwed it off again.  Sound familiar?  On-off On-off then suddenly for no apparent reason...... the T-Mount screwed off but this time taking the T Thread filter adapter PLUS the eye lens with it as well!!!!   I managed to take off the T-Mount but the T Thread filter adapter is stuck fast and hard so I am unable to unscrew it to replace the eye cup!!!  And the bloody soft case for the scope does not fit either!!!!  The wife, trying to hide a grin like a Cheshire cat left the room.

Ok ok, calm down methought.  Do I actually need the eyecup on?  Plus the Cannon T Mount fits and when the P5000 filter/lens mount comes that will fit as well?  So I decided to sett up the Cannon on the scope/ tripod plus fitted the electric remote to give it a go.  Now I already now what settings to make if say I would be using a 400/500 cannon lens but I don't have them and is why I decided to go with the scope pretty much like everyone else?  Problem was/is, I cant seem to get the settings right to suit a scope and its obvious limitations as the photo's keep on coming out out of focus.  So any help would be appreciated in between me trawiling the internet for answers.  Could be that the set up is wrong?

Also, the scope came with a black metal threaded tube covering the eye piece stem?  It does not list this in the instructions.  Is this item merely to protect the eye piece stem?

As for the scope?  OK its fairly heavy, but no where heavy enought o stop me using it.  Frankly its absolutely pin sharp and lets a huge amount of light in.  The fucusing set up is very good and the magnification is brilliant even at its lowest setting.  For the money its a very good bit of kit.

Just have to work out the camera part now!!!

Kind Regards,

Lee.  

February 4, 2012 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Lee,

Wow! That's a lot of info!!

From what I can gather you have your dslr T2 mount stuck on the adapter that Celestron supply with the scope and that it is fixed onto your scopes eyepiece?

Compacts and dslr's can connect using stepping rings, but if you have got your canon T2 mount stuck on then I'm not sure that your compact will be able to connect as compacts don't use T2 mounts as the lenses are built in to the camera.

I'd digiscope using the dslr for now. Can you tell me more about this tube that you mention. I just wanna get an idea of what its for!

As for focus issues, they are normally caused by too much magnification or camera shake. Make sure your scopes eyepiece is on minimum zoom and make sure your set up is sturdy. I think the Celestrons come with a balance rail? If it does then use it!

Come back to me when you've had a bit of time to get used to your set up. Its about patience now, keep your expectations low until you have more experience.

Also, your set up will prob have an aperture of around f8-10 with a direct dslr connection, so work on that when setting up your ISO and exposure compensation.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Danny.

--
February 5, 2012 at 2:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lee fletcher

Hi Danny,

No its not the T2 mount thats stuck, its the other mount that fits to the eye cup thread that I got to fit the P5000 via the p5000 nikon lense mount I'm waiting for so I can attach the p5000 directly without using an adapter.  Having said that, I have got a Baader clickstop microstage 2 to use in the meantime but its a bugger getting it all to line up, plus because the other mount is stuck on the eyecup thread I can't separate them to put the eye cup back on!!!!  The scope cost me £580 and I'm starting to think I would have been better off putting that money to a proper lense instead!!!

At the moment I'm wading through the minefield of info concerning the settings for the P5000 for the scope.  My cannon appears to NOT be taking images in the manual mode and the P5000 is now doing the same!!!!!  Obviously I've set something up wrong and its really starting to wind me up now!!!!

Regards,

Lee.

February 5, 2012 at 5:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lee fletcher

Progress report;

Managed to find a list of settings from Nikon regarding settings for digiscopining will try those.  Why is there so many opinions on these settings?  Some say macro, some say A, some say Manual alive alive O.

Regards,

Lee.

PS.  The scope itself really is brilliant though!!!  

February 5, 2012 at 6:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Lee,

Are you able to connect your Canon T2 mount to the thread on the eyepiece at all?

You say you have the mount that you bought for your P5000 stuck, but is it stuck on the T thread adapter that Celestron supply or have you tried to screw it directly onto the eyepiece thread?

Soz for all the questions, but I'm just trying to work out what you've done wrong!

Regards,

Danny

--
February 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.