Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Nikon D5000 "no lens fitted" message/set up problems

Ian Douglas Wells

Help!

I've just purchased the folowing: Olivon T90 scope, Olivon Standard Digital Camera adaptor, Nikon T2 mount - all to use with my Nikon D5000 DSLR.

Upon setting it all up I'm startled to be told on the LCD screen that I have 'Lens Not Fitted' and am unable to do anything further. Any thoughts? Have I done or not done anything stupid? All the fittings of the various components seem secure. Aaaaagh!

Ian

April 10, 2011 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your post.

I know what the problem is, the Nikon DSLR's need a lens to recognise. If you are trying to digiscope with a Nikon camera and are not using a Nikon scope and adaptor, then you will need to attach your Nikon camera using a Nikon lens first.

From what I read about the Olivon adaptor, it provides a 52mm thread. So what you would need to do is this...

Camera>camera lens (18-55mm)> filter thread step ring-52mm adaptor>attach this to the Olivon adaptor and you'll be able to digiscope.

I am assuming that you have a lens for your DSLR? To find out the filter thread size of that lens look at the end, where the lens cap would fit on and there will be a number next to a circle with a line through it (see HERE for an example). You will need a stepping ring that will attach to the thread on your lens, so it will be a ??mm-52mm adaptor. This then connects to your Olivon adaptor.

If you let me know what size the thread on your lens is, then I can help you further.

My friend Barry uses a Nikon D3000 for digiscoping. Have a look HERE, it may help you as well.

I hope this helps, and if I can help any further, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Danny.

--
April 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Douglas Wells

Dannys Digiscoping at April 10, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your post.

I know what the problem is, the Nikon DSLR's need a lens to recognise. If you are trying to digiscope with a Nikon camera and are not using a Nikon scope and adaptor, then you will need to attach your Nikon camera using a Nikon lens first.

From what I read about the Olivon adaptor, it provides a 52mm thread. So what you would need to do is this...

Camera>camera lens (18-55mm)> filter thread step ring-52mm adaptor>attach this to the Olivon adaptor and you'll be able to digiscope.

I am assuming that you have a lens for your DSLR? To find out the filter thread size of that lens look at the end, where the lens cap would fit on and there will be a number next to a circle with a line through it (see HERE for an example). You will need a stepping ring that will attach to the thread on your lens, so it will be a ??mm-52mm adaptor. This then connects to your Olivon adaptor.

If you let me know what size the thread on your lens is, then I can help you further.

My friend Barry uses a Nikon D3000 for digiscoping. Have a look HERE, it may help you as well.

I hope this helps, and if I can help any further, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Danny.

Thanks for such a prompt & helpful reply Danny,

I'll phone the supplier from whom I've been getting my equipment (Bristol Cameras) & explain to them what I need. My lens thread is 52mm so I'd assume they'd be able to tell me which step ring I'll need.

Regards

Ian

April 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Thats a good idea Ian, I hope my post didn't confuse you!!

You should need a 52mm-52mm step ring. That will attach your camera lens to the Olivon adaptor.

As you saw on Barrys site, it is possible to get some great results using a Nikon DSLR, lens and scope.

Patience is the key, practising until you master the technique of digiscoping.

I wish you well, and am here if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Danny.

--
April 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ian Douglas Wells

Hi Danny,

I was just about to phone the equipment supplier for said stepping ring when I thought I'd have a little tinker with the olivon DCA. Imagine my embarassment when giving it a twist revealed that the 42mm threaded ring on the end unscrewed and lo! underneath lay a 52mm thread which fits on the end of my lens perfectly.

The packaging of the DCA didn't state that it already had this attachment fitted.

Felt something of a doughnut but at least I can get up and running this weekend practicing with the rig in the garden. When it comes to needing patience - no problem as I'm married.

Many thanks for your help - your website is a little diamond by the way.

Regards, Ian

April 11, 2011 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Ian,

This is excellent news!!

Imagine that, that you can simply attach your lens directly to the adaptor, thats brilliant!!

I'm so pleased that you got it sorted, and I really hope you send me some of your pictures so that I can display them.

Well done for getting this far. Digiscoping is a wonderful art, that, with a bit of practise, can produce wonderful pictures and memories.

Do keep in touch, I'll look forward to seeing you progress.

And thank you so much for your kind comments, I'm really pleased that I was able to help.

Good Luck,

Danny.

--
April 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bazza

hi danny and hi ian

i have solved the problem with using nikon cameras for digiscoping with the problem no lenns attached  

attach your camera to the eyepiece using a t mount and put the camera

on manual mode m this will then work, you will get pictures but what i found was that it is very hard work firstly to find the sudject through the scope ( using a lens attached i found gave me more field of view ) then getting the right shutter speed to get a good clear image something like

f1/50 to f1/80 seamed to work but this has to be ajusted with the light, if you take your time you can find the right shutter speed

what i found was that when out in the field digiscoping it is a lot more quicker to find the subject

with the lens atached i use an 18-55mm lens with a 20x60 zoom so i can play about with the zoom

but you can still use a fixed lenns say 50mm

so to recap you can digiscope with nikon cameras without haveing to have a lens attached   

April 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.