Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Nikon D3100+18-55mm lens, Swarovski options

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Danny.

Can you advise me as to which adaptor and/or camera lens I should get to be able to digiscope. I have a Swarovski ATS 80 HD scope with 20xSW lens and a 20-60xS lens, my camera is a Nikon D3100 with the standard 18-55 zoom lens with vibration reduction.

After reading your articles I know that the scope is ok and hopefully the camera, but not to sure about the camera lens. Any help appreciated.

--
May 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch, hopefully I can get you on the right track!

Scope and eyepiece wise you are well set up. You have a few options on connection of your D3100, but as always it depend on how many £'s you have to spend.

I'll work my way up, starting with the cheapest.

1. The Swarovski DCA Zoom adaptor.

This adaptor is the cheapest option at around £150. This adaptor will work with either of your eypieces. This adaptor will then connect to your camera using the filter thread on the lens using (i think!) the 52mm filter thread. Make sure you put the lens onto manual focus (you'll focus with the scope) This will work well for you as the Nikon DSLR's really prefer to be connected using a lens as opposed to a direct connection to the cameras body.

2.The Swarovski UCA adaptor.

This adaptor, costing around £350 is a very good adaptor. It will only work with your 20-60x eyepiece, as this eyepiece is cylindrical, as opposed to tapered like your 20x eyepiece. This adaptor will also give you the choice of using a DSLR or compact camera. Your DSLR will attach to the adaptor, again with the lens attached. Its simply a case of fitting the adaptor and then aligning your camera to the eyepiece, which is all very straightforward. Again make sure the lens is on manual focus. Then you're ready to digiscope.

3.The Swarovski TLS 800

Probably the best DSLR digiscoping adaptor made. At £400 its not cheap, but it is good! It acts in the place of your eyepieces, and attaches the same way, with the bayonet style fitting. Your DSLR would connect directly to the adaptor using a Nikon T2 mount. As I said before, Nikon DSLR's do prefer having a lens attached, so you will have to use the Nikon in "Manual" mode. If I'm being honest, I've never tried a Nikon DSLR on my TLS800, but I'm sure it wouldn't cause any major problems. Like me using the TLS800 with my Canon, you would be taking pictures using a fixed aperture of around f10.

My friend Barry digiscopes with a Nikon D3000. His website may be of some help to you.

I hope this helps, and believe me I know it can all sound a bit confusing to start with, but its not that bad really!!

Good luck with your 'scoping. I'd love to see some pictures when you get up and running, and if I can help any more then you know where to find me!!

Best wishes,

Danny.

--
May 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.