Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Tripod advice please

Britpol

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a Nikon digiscoping kit and now I want a tripod. It has to be very stable and if possible, possible to lower it for horizontal pics. please remember that I live in Polan (English expat) and photo stuff is VERY expensive so I think Skik or Velbron are probably OK.

Thanks in advance,

Les

--
May 29, 2011 at 3:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Les,

Thanks for getting in touch.

With regards to tripods, if you are thinking about taking low horizontal pictures you will need a tripod with either a removalble centre column, or a tripod where the legs collapse outwards.

Also, if you are going to be digiscoping make sure you buy a good quality fluid filled tripod head. It will make everything much steadier.

Its also important to take into consideration how your scope will mount. Remember that if you wish to use your scope underneath your tripod then your scopes mount will need to be moveable, like they are on the Swarovski scopes.

In terms of an exact tripod for you the best thing to do is go to a photographic store and try some out. There are so many different options that you'll need to see how your set up will work.

I hope your 'scoping goes well,

Good Luck,

Danny.

--
May 30, 2011 at 3:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Britpol

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the response and info. Very useful my friend. As I mentioned in my request for help, all photography stuff is very over pricedhere, hense the request for help. For sure it will have to have a 'fluid head'- 'ball' is just too expensive right now. Which do you prefer, Slik or Velbron? Both are over here. I was looking at one, it's an Opticam but I think it's a Polish company so maybe not. They don't honour warrenties without a huge fight.

As a footnote.... I moved here from Gt Yarmouth 13 years ago so I know Lowestoft quite well because I have distant relatives there. A small world. I hope we can stay in touch in some way.

Thaks again,

Les

May 30, 2011 at 7:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Wow!

Its nice to talk to someone local!

The Velbon tripods & heads that I've used have been very good. I've never used a slik, but others I know have done and they are a quality article.

Carbon fibre is the best option, and they generally have collapsable legs, which is the easiest option for your horizontal shots.

It'd be great to get some pictures of Polish birds and mammals on the site, maybe you could email some?

Let me know what you choose!!

Danny.

--
May 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Britpol

Thanks Danny,

I'll keep you posted as to what I buy. Carbon though will cost a fortune here honestly. When I get some pics done, I'll let you see and use them if you wish. I know somewhere I have a Perigrin in my garden with its dead prey.

Hoping to go to Vietnam next year to work for a year. My wife and I are English teachers. Hense no money to speak of.

I'll be in touch,

Les

May 30, 2011 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Britpol

Hi Danny,

Just to let you know I've bought Benro 257 legs and a Manfrotto 804 Rc head. Now I need to learn to us the complete package.

Many thanks,

Les

June 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.