Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Best camera choice for Digiscoping

PAUL SHILLING

Hello,

With an ever burgeoning market for compact cameras it is becoming so difficult to choose a compact with full manual control.  Has anyone any recommendations for a decent Digiscoping compact camera (budget is +or - £100, used considered)?

Paul

May 31, 2011 at 3:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I agree that the world of digital compacts moves so quickly that its hard to keep up with the technology!!

If you only have a budget of around £100 this is going to restrict you somewhat.

What scope do you plan to digiscope with? Hopefully I can advise you further in terms of attaching your camera as well.

I would recommend the Panasonic TZ8. I believe it to have full manual mode, and comes in at around £150 new, so there's a good chance you'll find one secondhand.

Another digiscoper I know uses this camera. He to is starting out, but he has got some excellent results already with this camera, handholding it!!

I hope this helps, and please keep in touch with your progress.

Good Luck,

Danny.

--
May 31, 2011 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ksdavid

I see the TZ8 has a 12x optical zoom.............does this not become a problem for digiscoping.

I'm just a newbie, but I read that more than 4x of optical zoom is not a great thing for digiscoping. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks

September 16, 2011 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

No, you are right to question this!!

Most cameras with large optical zooms, such as fuji finepix cameras cannot be used, but this may be due to the type of lens. Look HERE

My friend Gary has had some really good results with this camera.

Good digiscoping combinations are dependant on many things, but it generally boils down to lens/eyepiece compatibilty with one another.

It really can be trial and error. Gary had tried with the Panasonic G2, but the lens wasn't right for digiscoping. However, the lens that comes with the Panasonic G1 works really well, or so I'm led to believe.

Its good to have your input on the forum, please keep posting!!

Regards,

Danny.

--
September 16, 2011 at 10:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

PAUL SHILLING

Hello Danny,

My apologies for the belated reply but I finally decided to opt for your recommendation of the Panasonic TZ8.  I will hopefully give it a field trial shortly and will update you on any progress that I may or may not make. 

Incidentally I purchased the Nikon Coolpix P500 to supplement my existing equipment and despite the vexing roaming autofocus system results using the full 36x capablity have been fairly successful.  

My appreciation for your initial responce.  

Paul Shilling

February 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Paul,

Its good to hear from you, and I'm glad you've made a choice in camera.

Keep us posted with your progress!

Regards,

Danny.

--
February 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.