Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Can I fit my Sony A350 DSLR to this scope?

Britpol

Hi again everyone. I've a digiscoping kit by Nikon. It has the  RAIII A WP Fieldscope Spotting Scope + CoolPix S5100 + mount. My question is- if at some time in the future I want to use my Sony A350 DSLR with the scope, would it be possible. I know the Coolpix doesn't have 'Manual' Focus' but I hope to discover the best setting for it to get the best results. However, the Sony of course does have 'Manual' and also a 'Livescreen' that could be very useful. So please let me have some suggestions and a rough cost if possible. 

Sorry to ask so many questions but this is a whole new ballgame for me.

If you ever want help from me, and of course I'm able to help, just ask me. That means anyone on this good sight.

Les

May 31, 2011 at 6:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hello again Les,

Never apologise for asking questions, its what this forum is for, and its great to have you contributing!

I'm not sure that it is possible to use a DSLR with this particular scope. It seems that there is no compatible DSLR adaptor. Nikon Fieldscope III are compatible with the FSA-L1 DSLR adaptor, but I'm pretty sure that this adaptor will not work with the RAIII.

Pretty much all compact cameras have to use auto focus as the lenses are intergrated, whereas on a DSLR they are seperate, often with much greater capability.

I wouldn't recommend using live view on a DSLR. One of the main advantages of DSLR 'scoping is using the viewfinder. There is never a problem with not being able to see the screen properly due to sunlight reflecting on it.

The digiscoping set up that you own is a good rig. The camera, scope, eyepiece and bracket have been specifically designed to digiscope with, so practice will make perfect.

Check out this LINK, it will show you  Nikons compatibility at present.

I hope this helps mate!!

Best wishes,

Danny

--
May 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Britpol

Hi Danny,

Once again, thanks for the advice. I thought I might have a problem with the Sony that's why I've bought the Nikon set up. Hopefully I'll get some decent pics but only time will tell. I'll check out the link. I was trying to find site/books that give solid advice but apart from this one, I can't find any.

By the way I've found some pics of birds. Tell me where and how to send them and I will if you're interested my friend.

As always.... thanks for the excellent advice and I'll be in touch.

Les

--
May 31, 2011 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

HI Les,

Sorry for not getting back sooner! You can email me directly at danny@dannysdigiscoping.com

I'll look forward to seeing your pics!!

--
June 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.