Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Celestron Ultima 100mm ED Scope

Goldmaxx

Hi,

I've just purchased my first scope, a Celestron 100mm ED Scope, I have a Nikon D3100 DSLR does anyone have any advice on this set up, I intend to connect with a T Adaptor - is this a viable setup?

Cheers

Goldmaxx

August 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Goldmaxx,

Thanks for your question.

This camera & Scope will work well together. If you didn't already know, there is a T2 thread underneath the rubber eyecup. Just pull it off gently to reveal the thread.

The camera can then be connected directly to the scope using a Nikon T2 adaptor, like you thought. I believe you will get the best results by using the camera in Manual mode.

My friend Barry digiscopes this way using a Nikon DSLR and an Ultima 80ED scope. He gets some really good results. Click HERE to have a look at his site. He will be able to help you as well.

FYI, using the Ultima 100 scope the front end is a little heavy, so make sure you use the balance rail that is in the box to even up the weight distribution. Also, get a tripod with a fluid head, it'll make digiscoping in general much easier!

Good luck with your digiscoping. I hope I've helped, and should you need any more help then please get in touch,

Regards,

Danny.

--
August 18, 2011 at 2:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldmaxx

Thanks for your reply Danny, its put my mind at rest, was a little worried I had jumped in too quick even though I'd done a fair bit of research, I wanted an ED scope (on a limited budget) and believed that getting the 100mm would help with the amount of light it gathered. Scope should arrive early next week, I also have a Nikon Coolpix S3100 which I will try to get a bracket for and I believe that there is a bracket that helps to support the scope as well as a DLSR but cant find the info again, are you aware of these? sorry to ask so many questions.

Regards

Goldmaxx

August 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bazza

Goldmaxx at August 17, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Hi,

I've just purchased my first scope, a Celestron 100mm ED Scope, I have a Nikon D3100 DSLR does anyone have any advice on this set up, I intend to connect with a T Adaptor - is this a viable setup?

Cheers

Goldmaxx

hi  goldmaxx

it's barry here dannys mate. I agree with danny your scope will be a bit top heavy, use the balance rail, a t mount addapter is what you need  to connect your camera to your scope. I have a nikon d3000 and i use manual mode for best results. One thing though with manual mode you don't get any aperture so you have to rely on the correct iso setting and shutter speed. This can be very trial and error but with lots of practice you will get fantastic results. Any problems or help get in contact with me, danny has contacted you with my website good luck

regards

Barry Woodhouse

August 18, 2011 at 1:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldmaxx

Hi Barry,

Thank for the reply, I've had a look at your website and am very impressed with your results.  The good thing with the D3100 is tht you can push the ISO to 1600 without much noticeable noise creeping i.  I know there will be a lot of trial and error to start with,  is there any much pressure on the camera side of the T Mount adapter? is it worth getting one of these to help support the camera? or is it really not a problem:

http://www.1stcameras.com/pd-visionary-camera-bracket--l.cfm

Regards

Goldmaxx

August 18, 2011 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hello again,

Don't buy one of these brackets, I have owned one of these brackets and they are so fidly and awkward that you would hate it!

Your planned connection idea will work fine. and there will be no pressure on the camera. Celestron supply a balance rail with all their 100mm scopes, so just use that to counter balance the weight a little.

I connect my Canon directly and have never had any problems, nor has Barry as far as I'm aware.

I'd suggest getting your set up together and taking a few test shots for now and see how you get on. I honestly think that you'll enjoy your set up as it is!

Let me know when you're ready to go!

Danny.

--
August 18, 2011 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldmaxx

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the advice and I'll definitely take it, should have everything together early next week, both scope and T-Mount adapter are ordered and are on their way so looking forward to getting started.  Thanks again.

Regards

Goldmaxx

August 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Nice one!

Just remember patience is KEY to successful digiscoping.

I'll help wherever I can, and good luck again!

Danny.

--
August 18, 2011 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldmaxx

My Scope arrived this morning and although I have nothing to comapre it too the clarity is amazing, only tried it in the garden but I could see a ladybird on an apple 3 gardens away, really looking forward to getting out with it early next week, my T munt adapter arrived too so will try a few shots in the garden with my D3100 attached, I mounted it on my cheapo tripod and it really wasn't too stable so I've ordered a Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod with a Manfrotto Pan and tilt head MN804RC2, any views on this combination?

August 19, 2011 at 4:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Brilliant! Looks like things are coming together for you now.

The tripod and head look pretty good. I havent had any personal experience with ths particular tripod head, so perhaps it can be an experience that you can share with me! I'm always open to different ways of doing things!

Now you are nearly ready to take some pics here are a few pointers for you.

1. Make sure you pick a nice ish day to try out your set up 2. Keep things as steady as possible. 3.It'll take time to learn how to get the best out of your camera for the conditions given. 4. Don't use your scope on more than around 25x magnifiction. This should be plenty, and much more makes focusing harder and cuts down the available light, which is the most important medium!

The rest is trial and error and practice! I'll be at the cricket today, so don't panic if I dont reply. Also, don't forget Barry has a wealth of experience with a Nikon/Celestron set up and can help you too!

Regards,

Danny.

--
August 20, 2011 at 1:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldmaxx

Finally got out with my scope and camera, here's my first attempt at digiscoping, not as sharp as I'd like but I'm quite pleased  with this early result:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldmaxx/6080188556/in/photostream

Goldmaxx

August 25, 2011 at 12:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Well done you!!

Very brave indeed. White birds are the easiest to over expose, especially on a dullish looking day and higher ISO's, but I dont think you've done too badly at all!!

Exposure is actually pretty good, and the only reason the head is a little blurry is because you took the picture as the bird was moving.

You'll get lots of blurry shots along the way, its natural, so dont be over hard on yourself.

You can only practice now and better pictures will follow. Just stick with it!!!

Question for you now! How did you find your first digiscoping trip?

Well done again,

Danny.

--
August 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldmaxx

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the feedback, I spent a couple of hours in the hide at the RSPB reserve at Inner Marsh Farm on the Wirral, a bit of a trek with all my gear but well worth it.  As you know I'm just a beginner not only to digiscoping but to birding in general, the hide was quite busy so didn't want to spend too long disturbing the others with my clicking, Now I've done it once I'm sure I'll get more confident but, as a first trip I found it very pleasing.  I'm very surprised at how little messing I had to do to get a decent exposure as the amount of light that the 100mm scope draws in is impressive, I had the ISO set to 400 and the speed to 1/200th, next time I can experiment more with different ISO and speed settings.  All in all a very enjoyeable first outing. 

I had just dismantled camera from scope and packed it away when a Peregrine Falcon swooped for and missed a Teal, it then landed at the waters edge and sat there for a few minutes, just too far away for my 55 - 300mm lens.

August 25, 2011 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBirdGarden

Hey Goldmaxx

Your experiences seem to be a little similar to mine, when i first started out which wasnt long ago, about a year and a half now I basically started with a Celestron 80ED which Barry is now using also when I began digiscoping it was also the beginning for me birding and I am still unsure of the rules for hides (seems to be whoever has the biggest camera has talking rights sometimes) and also suck at finding birds. Danny knows of this suckage.

I used to use a Celestron 80ED and a Canon S70 and here are some pics taken with it

PIC 1

PIC 2

You will find you will get better over time and maybe have no idea how, I tried avoiding white birds altogether when I started out and still do now and only try them as a last resort

--

August 25, 2011 at 4:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldmaxx

HI Birdgarden,

Those are the sort of images I aspire to take, so sharp and clear

August 25, 2011 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldmaxx

Going to Martin Mere on Thursday so will hopefully have some more pics to share, hoping the wind will have died down by then.

September 13, 2011 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Good luck Goldmaxx!

I'll look forward to seeing your work!

--
September 14, 2011 at 7:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Goldmaxx

Went to Martin Mere today, weather was superb, here are a couple of my digiscoping efforts, most unfortunately were still slightly out of focus but I'm pleased with a couple of them:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldmaxx/sets/72157627555514149/

September 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Well done Goldie!!

Try to minimise that camera shake, and do your best to maintain a shutter speed of 1/100 sec +

Raise the ISO a little perhaps, but it will make your pictures a little noisy, but that "noise" can be taken out using photoshop.

Keep practising, the images will come as you learn ;)

Best wishes,

Danny.

--
September 16, 2011 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.