Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Digiscoping adaptor,which one?

hawk

Looking for some advice concering what adaptor would I need for a Theron Saker 15x45-60mm spotting scope and a Canon power shot camera.Thanks, Rick

September 21, 2011 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi, thanks for your question.

I think a universal style adapter would probably work best, unless your scope brand has a dedicated adapter.

Which model Powershot is it? Its worth trying to align the camara with your scopes eyepiece by hand first to make sure that you don't get vignetting issues with this combination. Some cameras simply don't work for digiscoping!

Try this first then let me know!

Thanks,

Danny

--
September 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hawk

Danny, Thanks for the quick response.The camera that I have is a Canon power shot A 590 IS ,4x zoom, 8 mega pixels.I took some hand held photos tonight and they turned out pretty good.So that being the case,what adaptor would you recommend? Thanks, Rick

September 21, 2011 at 9:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

That's a good start then! In most cases it comes down to the scope. Some scopes have a "T" thread under the eyepiece rubber, whereas others have extension tubes. If you check the manufacturers website they may have some info there.

If there is no dedicated adapter then a universal style adapter will work best. Don't buy a swing away style one tho, as they are really fiddly and annoying!

There is an example of a universal style adapter in my store. That should give you an idea of what you need.

Danny.

--
September 22, 2011 at 4:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi again Hawk,

Just had a quick read up on your camera to see if it had a treaded filter adapter or the means of attaching a threaded adapter, but I can't see that it has, so a universal style adapter is your only option for connection.

As you progress we can talk about other scope/camera combinations.

See how you get on!

Danny.

--
September 22, 2011 at 4:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.