Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > What spotting scope & adapter for Nikon D60

macstewarty

its so confusing trying to get the right information....been surfing for hours....would be grateful for any help here....ive got a nikon D60 and would love to hear about good adapters for scopes....not bought a spotting scope yet...any info would be much appreciated.....thanks to all of you in advance.......macstewarty 

November 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Macstewarty,

How much money do you have to spend on an adapter and scope please?

Regards,

Danny.

--
November 24, 2011 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

macstewarty

wow.....thanks for such a quick reply danny

i was thinking around 400 euros in total for scope with adapter

all the best to all

macstewarty......:D 

November 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

No problem!

I'll have a look around and try to give you some decent advice.

400 euros isn't much if I'm being honest, but there are some options.

I'll come back to you a little later.

Regards,

Danny

--
November 25, 2011 at 3:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

macstewarty

hi again danny.....what a fantastic site you have here....so informative for all newbies to digiscoping

after doing a bit more reading into things i will be looking for an 80mm scope....looks as though the celestron or swarovski scopes will be out of my budget at the moment...ho hum...also i think an angled eye piece would suit me best......i guess theres no   ED lens in this bracket either.....i could stretch the budget a little further seeing xmas is just around the corner.....maybe to 500 to 600 euros max.....i dont want to start at the shallow end seeing ive already got a resnible camera and tripod 

November 25, 2011 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi,

I reckon you could go for a Celestron Ultima 80 ED. They are good value, and the eyepiece has a T thread on the eyepiece (underneath the rubber eyecup) that you can attach your camera too.

You can either connect the camera directly to the T thread using a Nikon T2 adapter or you can use the DSLR  and an 18-55mm lens and connect this to the scope via the filter thread on the 18-55mm lens.

My good friend and fellow digiscoper Barry knows everything you need to get digiscoping with a Nikon DSLR and Celestron Ultima scope. THIS is a link to his website. Check it out, he'll certainely try to help.

See how you get on and when you've got an Ultima 80ED then come back and we'll get you digiscoping.

Obviously there are more expensive solutions, but this would be a great starter set up for you, and as you'll see Barry makes it work very well.

Speak soon,

Danny.

--
November 25, 2011 at 3:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

macstewarty

thanks again for all your help and advice...today ive had a good read about the ultima 80ED....sounds perfect for the price. also i checked out your link to barrys site and looked at some of the pics....fantastic...i was very impressed. i see celestron have discontinued this model now but theres still plenty of places that have them in stock

i could barely believe the variation in price from 1 site to another.....between 299 and 415 quid

1 of my mates will be back in uk sometime next week so i will give him some dosh and he will get 1 for me

hopefully i shall be having a play with it in 2 to 3 weeks time....cant wait

thanks again danny

i shall report back soon

bye for now

stew

November 26, 2011 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

No problem at all, its what I'm here for!

Do you have the 18-55mm lens for your Nikon, or a fixed 50mm lens?

--
November 26, 2011 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

macstewarty

hi again danny

i picked up the adaptors today from the post office that you sent out the other week

also on monday my mate came back with the scope for me...celestron ultima 100ED

it was 400 quid

tomorrow i shall have a play around with it and see how i get to grips with it

thanks again for all your help and advice...it made my decisions so much easier

regards

stew  

December 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

macstewarty

i had a few minutes play before the sun set this evening....think i need to get a better tripod....it shakes in the wind

took a few pics on the self timer....got friends coming out next week for xmas....theyre gonna bring me out an ML-L3 remote control...shall keep you posted with progress

regards

stew

December 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.