Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Hawke Frontier ED66 advice please!

bazsan08

Hi all i am new to this site and was wondering if any of you have done digiscoping with any of hawkes spotting scopes and if so what the results were like and what camera was used. As i have just bought a frontier ed spotting scope and will be digiscoping with it in the future it was the best spec i could get for the budget i had so im hopping it was not a bad buy. Also im looking to get a new compact camera an have narrowed it down to 2 the coolpix p300 and canon s95 any thoughts as to which is better or if i would even be able to use with my spotting scope which as mentioned is frontier ed 66mm with 16x-50x zoom eyepiece any help would be very greatful.

kind regards barry

February 20, 2012 at 6:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Barry,

Sorry for the delay in my reply, this is the first chance I've had!

The scope you have seems pretty nice. I've had a look around the internet for adapters for your scope and there isnt much choice.

However, seeing as you you are looking at a Nikon P300 or Canon Powershot S95 you can use a universal adapter (scroll down to "small digiscope adapter")

The compacts you speak of should work ok on this style of adapter.

In terms of DSLR adapters there seem to be some for the other Hawke scopes but not the Frontier. However, there are companies such as SRB Griturn that will make bespoke adapters.

See how you get on with the compact camera and adapter first perhaps. I'd go for the P300 myself, but then I really like Nikon compacts!! ;)

Good Luck, and thanks for getting in touch!

Regards,

Danny.

--
February 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bazsan08

Dannys Digiscoping at February 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Hi Barry,

Sorry for the delay in my reply, this is the first chance I've had!

The scope you have seems pretty nice. I've had a look around the internet for adapters for your scope and there isnt much choice.

However, seeing as you you are looking at a Nikon P300 or Canon Powershot S95 you can use a universal adapter (scroll down to "small digiscope adapter")

The compacts you speak of should work ok on this style of adapter.

In terms of DSLR adapters there seem to be some for the other Hawke scopes but not the Frontier. However, there are companies such as SRB Griturn that will make bespoke adapters.

See how you get on with the compact camera and adapter first perhaps. I'd go for the P300 myself, but then I really like Nikon compacts!! ;)

Good Luck, and thanks for getting in touch!

Regards,

Danny.

Ok no worrys at least you got back to me had asked other people but nothing so thanks very much. Had a look at the small universal adapter that you mentioned just to confirm that it dose fit it was shown on the back of my spotting scope booklet just in case any one else asks.

As for camera i was leaning towards the p300 as ive seen some really nice pics taken with it and its a little bit cheaper.

On a different note do you know what works better and was i right in getting my scope as this was the main reason i chose it ed optics. I know light is important so a 80mm scope would let more light in then a 66mm scope so which would produce a better pic a 80mm scope with standard optics  or a 66mm scope like mine with ed optics. I guess what im really saying is should i have bought a cheaper 80mm scope instead of trying to get one with ed optics whith a drawback of a smaller lens. I hope this is not a stupid question.

Will be interesting to see what you have to say maybe should have asked this before i bought my scope might have saved some money lol maybe it will save other people some money depending on the outcome.

Thanks Barry

February 21, 2012 at 8:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Barry,

I'm glad the adapter will fit, thanks for letting me know.

As for the objective of your scope I wouldn't worry. The 80mm may let in a little more light, but it won't be that much more. ED glass is a good thing and always better than a scope that doesn't have ED glass for sure, so no, you haven't wasted your money!!

Get yourself set up and then we can go over the learning process etc with you.

Regards,

Danny.

--
February 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bazsan08

Dannys Digiscoping at February 22, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Hi Barry,

I'm glad the adapter will fit, thanks for letting me know.

As for the objective of your scope I wouldn't worry. The 80mm may let in a little more light, but it won't be that much more. ED glass is a good thing and always better than a scope that doesn't have ED glass for sure, so no, you haven't wasted your money!!

Get yourself set up and then we can go over the learning process etc with you.

Regards,

Danny.

Thanks thats always good to know, as soon as i get the camera and adapter i will let you know and post some pics thanks again for the advice if i have any more questions ill be sur to ask.

Regards

Barry 

February 24, 2012 at 11:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.