vnv

I have a nikon d90 and d 80 and I want to enter into the world of digiscoping

I need to know what adapters I need and the mounting platforms also

a reasonably priced scope suggestion

March 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi there,

Welcome to the Forum, thanks for your question.

Firstly, I must advise that digiscoping with a Nikon is quite difficult to do. Generally Nikons do no like being used without a proper Nikon lens attached. It is possible to connect a Nikon DSLR and lens to a scope, but I honestly believe this cuts down on light and makes focussing harder due to the amout of glass in the set up.

Also, the method required is quite difficult for a beginner digiscoper, and I feel this would prove frustrating and you may find yourself hating digiscoping before you've even begun to understand it!

However...with that said... this is what I would do...

I would look for a Celestron Ultima 80 or 100 ED. They are mid priced scope and have a T thread on the eyepiece that a Nikon T2 adapter would attach to. All you would need to do is screw the Nikon T2 mount to the scopes eyepiece and then attach your camera to the other side of the adapter.

You would need to operate your camera in manual mode, its the only mode you could use. As far as I'm aware the only way of adjusting the shutter speed would be by using the ISO.

Just FYI, Nikon do produce some very good dedicated digiscoping equipment. Take a look HERE

I know its more expensive, but its definately the best way to digiscope with Nikon equipment.

My friend Barry digiscopes very well with a Nikon DSLR. Take a look HERE at his website. It may be of help to you.

I hope this helps a little,

Let us know how you get on :D

Regards,

Danny.

--
March 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.