Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Scope Advice

Layzee=sod=

I am when it comes to digiscoping a complete novice, wasnt even aware of it until a couple of weeks ago when a work colleague told me he had purchased a nikon 80ed (or something similar).

Being quite a keen amateur photographer I investigated and was intrigued as to what can be achieved, I use all canon lenses and bodies but the one thing that my budget will not run to is spending several K on a long lens, so when this came up I thought ok i can make a compromise on quality as against cost.

I dont want to invest too much for starters so i am looking for advice on a scope, I have looked and like the sound of acuter either 80 or 100 model, I would be connecting camera body direct to scope using T2 adapter.

Another question straight or angled ? as obviously the less there is in front of the lens the better.

Any advice help will be appreciated.

May 10, 2012 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry and welcome to The Forum.

It sounds like you already have an understanding of photography which will help you. Also, it is good that you recognise digiscoping is a trade off against the high costs involved with conventional telephotography.

I think the Actuer 80-100 would be an ok choice, but the Celestron Ultima 80 or 100 ED would be better as the ED glass will make a great improvement to the quality of your pics. I know for sure that the Celestrons have a T2 thread on the eyepiece that will allow your camera to connect directly using a T2 mount. I'm not sure about the Acuter's, BUT i think they use the same eyepiece as the Celestrons.

I would choose an angled scope everytime. They are easier to use for digiscoping in my opinion, and means that you can use the set up in low down situations easier.

I'm not sure what kind of tripod head you have, but I recommend getting a fluid filled one as they will make digiscoping much easier. The old twisty up ones are just not easy to adjust finely, and you'll find that locating the subject and keeping it in the middle of your viewfinder is much easier with a smooth, accurate tripod head.

You'll be working with a fixed aperture most of the time, unless you use the zoom on the scopes eyepiece. I would guess that the aperture through the Celestron eyepiece will be around f8-10. My TLS 800 gives me f10 through an 80mm scope. The aperture would be a little better through a 100mm scope.

Use your Canon in Aperture priority mode, using the ISO and exposure compensation to speed up/slow down your shutter depending on the available light, to get the exposures that you want.

Remember your photography basics, getting as close as is possible to any subjects, and you'll suceed. Keep it simple to start and expect lots of bad shots too! If you have a shutter release then use it. Never underestimate the effect of camera shake when digiscoping.

I hope this give you an idea, and keep us posted on your progress!

Good Luck

Regards,

Danny.

--
May 10, 2012 at 8:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Layzee=sod=

I must admit that Celestron have been in the frame since i started looking, however budget is tight not sure if i can run to ed range (would be nice). I am hoping to upgrade my camera body to a Canon 5d mk2, hence not wanting to spend bundles on a scope

I am though a believer in getting the best that budget will stretch to from the outset as if all goes well i would upgrade to something better anyway !

Tripod wise i have two, one is a manfrotto which has quick release plate and fluid head, the other is built like a tank and would be my preffered choice for digiscoping as it is rock solid and has a fluid head as well but i cannot for the life of me remember the name, but it weighs a ton, is made entirely of steel (no wussie carbon fibre here, its a mans tripod).

I will keep you posted, and thanks for advice.

May 11, 2012 at 3:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi again,

My only thoughts on your comments are that the scope acts as the lens with DSLR digiscoping.

One could have the best camera body in the world, but it would still only take average pictures because the lens is a bit rubbish. Its kinda like having a great hi-fi but rubbish speakers.

I'd advise you spend your cash on the ed scope, but its up to you of course!

Keep us posted,

Regards,

Danny.

--
May 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.