Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > body or lens?

lellynelly

Hi all. I'm just about to start out into digiscoping and have yet to buy any adapters. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me advantages and disadvantages of attaching the adapter plus scope to either the lens of the camera or directly to the body. I believe you can do it either way. obviously this will affect the type of adapter I buy. Thanks

September 3, 2012 at 3:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lellynelly

well after spending an hour and a half locating an adapter that fits on to a lens I don't think I'll even look for a straight to body adapter

September 3, 2012 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Direct connections are better in my opinion because they allow more light through the set up and are easier to get a sharper focus as there is less glass in the set up.

Which adapter did you buy for your lens?

Regards,

Danny.

--
September 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lellynelly

the one on the link you sent me - DCA standard adapter, to fit the T90 scope, and a T2 ring

September 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi,

Sorry, I thought u meant u had bought an adapter for the 18-55mm lens. The adapter u bought is for the scope, that's why I got a little confused!

I'll look forward to u getting it!

Regards

Danny

--
September 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lellynelly

But it connects the scope to the camera lens not the camera body?? (with the T2 ring).

September 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi,

The T2 adapter will connect directly to the cameras body.

I think I commented in my profile that you can connect via the cameras lens using (I think) a 58-42m stepping ring instead of the T2 adapter.

Personally, I think that using a lens in the set up cuts down on light and makes focussing harder and that a direct connect is much better. I use a direct dslr connection set up.

Your set up will be a direct connection from the adpater to the DSLR body, which, once you have learnt how to control exposure will work very well, especially with the 90mm objective of the Olivon.

Have you recieved your adapters yet?

Regards,

Danny.

--
September 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lellynelly

No. I got an email to say they were out of stock of the adapter and expecting a delivery at the end of the week, I assume they'll send the T2 in the same package. shame, I was hoping to giving it a go this weekend, but looks like it'll be the end of next week now

September 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Oh, it's a shame that you have to wait, but hopefully it'll be worth it!

If you get time then get in contact with my friend Barry. He digiscopes with a directly connected Nikon and gets some great results. Its taken him some time to get it right, but his patience has paid off.

--
September 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lellynelly

do you mean 'Beaker Baz'?  yes already added him on Facebook! :)

September 6, 2012 at 2:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

That's the one!

He's blimmin good with his Nikon!

He's often up this way too, so he could prob show you his set up which may help. 

--
September 6, 2012 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.