Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Help - no instructions!

lellynelly

Hi there Danny

A couple of weeks ago we talked about digiscoping with a Nikon camera and Olivon scope.

You sent me a link to a DCA adapter and a T2 ring and said that is all I would need but I'm well confused.

they arrived this today and I have discovered the T2 ring fits directly on to the camera body and the adapter fits on to the ring. I then found out that the adapter seems to slide over the scope eyepiece although not particularly a good fit. but then I thought with no lens on the camera I won't be able to adjust focus or zoom but then thought maybe you just do that on the scope, but in the event I can't do anything because the camera won't let me because it tells me there is no lens fitted. After spending £70 I hope there is some way round this. What should I do?

September 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi, Calm down, all is as it should be!

It did advise in your other thread that you would have a direct connection to your camera body. The adapter should fit over the eyepiece and attach by screwing into place. The T2 mount will attract to the other end, with your camera then attaching to the T2 adapter.

Your camera is saying no lens attached, because there is no lens attached! The scope is now your lens, but it's not a lens that is meant to be attached to your camera hence there are not electronics to tell the camera there is a lens there!

As Barry will tell you, your camera will have to be used in manual (M) mode. Your camera will then no longer say no lens attached I believe. 

This is where patience and practice is required. Digiscoping is difficult in the sense that the equipment used was never designed to be used together so the user has to learn how to control exposure without the use of all the cameras settings. You will need to learn what ISO settings to use in the outside light to get the best shutter speeds. You won't learn this in a few outings, it will take time. Learning how to control exposure is hardest, but one you start to understand you will progress quickly.

Just keep patient, and don't give up, it'll come together in time :)

Regards,

Danny

--
September 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

And yes, you focus using the scope with dslr Digiscoping!! 

The zoom is controlled using the zoom on the scopes eyepiece, by keep this set at the minimum to start off. The more you zoom the more light you lose, so keep the zoom low!

Regards,

Danny

--
September 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bazza

hi lesley like dannys says 

dont panic it will work am going to e mail you with help and info etc

on how to use your D3100 via a t mount direct connection 

September 14, 2012 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lellynelly

Hey thanks guys :)  I already know a bit about using the camera in manual mode - from very bright sunlight, to astronomical photos, so hopefully that side of it shouldn't be too difficult. Ok Danny, now you've said it  it's obvious I will use the zoom and focus on the scope - der!! (hits myself on forehead!) And yes I've just found out it actually screws on to the scope - yes definitely fits much better now....another der!! 

And thanks Bazza - I look forward to your email, and looking forward to becoming a reasonable digiscoper :)

September 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Well done Lelly, 

A good, positive attitude there. I like it!

Regards,

Danny.

--
September 14, 2012 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.