Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > New compact camera for ATS80HD and DCA Zoom adaptor?

dr_ADH

Hello

Hope you dont mind my asking.  Would you know a new compact camera that would work with my Swarovski ATS80HD with the DCA Zoom adaptor?  I have minimal carry space so am trying to be as compact as possible, hence trying to work with this adaptor.  It doesnt fit my current compact camera, so am hoping to buy something to suit?  The new generation dont seem to have the screw on the body for the adaptor to mount, so I'm raelly not sure of how to find a camera, and thought you or other people might have experience of such?

Thanks very much

Adam

September 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your question!

Ironically I was helping a friend with this exact same issue earlier!

What compact do you already own please? I may be able to help you with it. If not there are options for you.

Regards,

Danny

--
September 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dr_ADH

Dannys Digiscoping at September 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your question!

Ironically I was helping a friend with this exact same issue earlier!

What compact do you already own please? I may be able to help you with it. If not there are options for you.

Regards,

Danny

Hey Danny

wow that could be unreal timing!!  Thanks so much for coming back to me.  So the compacts i have are:

SAMSUNG ES71

CANON IXUS50

the Canon is rather old, and teh Samsung just doesnt want to play ball. 

Am happy to buy a new camera for the job, as I think its worth trying to get the best pictures I can. 

best regards

Adam

September 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

No worries!

I think that a newer camera would and could serve you better.

You are a little limited with the DCA Zoom adapter as you are reliant on the camera having a threaded attachment to attach to the DCA.

I've not used loads of newer cameras, but I was recently at Birdfair, and nearly all the digiscoping set ups were using Canon compacts.

I currently use the Canon Powershot S100, and that works very well with my Swaro. You could also consider the Nikon P300 or P310, or perhaps an earlier Canon powershot, say the S95.

None of these cameras have a threaded attachment, but you can use one of THESE

They are a handy filter adapter that should work on any of these cameras. It will give you a 37mm thread, which will attach to the 37mm adapter of your DCA.

See what you think!

Regards,

Danny.

--
September 23, 2012 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dr_ADH

Hey Danny

thanks again so much for this, gave me lots think about.  I've been down to my local Jessops to talk cameras, but the guy there was pretty clueless to be honest...  I was wanting to understand the more basic thing which dictate why some compacts cost around £300 (the S100 you recommended), and others such as the A2300 are £80, rather than asking you!  I was hoping not to have to spend as much as £300 on a camera, but if thats neccessary to get the results then thats obviously cool.  Saying that, I've just found the Canon at £175 and the P310 for £125 from Hong Kong(Camera Paradise, seems to good to be true?!).  Is there much between the S100 and the P310, as if I dont risk HK then in the UK the P310 seems to be that bit better priced?

And the adaptor, do you know if people get good results using it?  I was wondering whether it might be better to look for an old camera that has the screw mount on the front, or do you think the benefits of the newer cameras outweigh using the adaptor?  I guess its a compromise, but when you only have a motorbike space is an absolute premium.

Best regards

Adam

September 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

The S100 is a better camera in terms of basic spec and design, but the P310 is a perfectly excellent camera. I'll know more on the P310 after I've borrowed one in a few weeks!

Tread carefully with sites offering cheap equipment. Try to find out some feedback first to make sure they're genuine. 

The P310 would certainly be a good step up for you. 

As for the adapter, a friend of mine uses one to connect a panosonic compact to a Celestron scope.

Google for "the birdgarden blog" and see what Geriant is doing there. It was him that showed me this adapter, he will be able to instruct u more on this topic.

See how u get on and how u feel!

Regards,

Danny.

--
September 25, 2012 at 3:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dr_ADH

Hey Danny

I tried to order the adaptor today from you original site that you posted for it, digitaltoyshop, but they wouldnt take my order as they said they needed to know which camera it was for. I tried to state that it was a universal adaptor, but they said it was different for different modes of camera, is that right?

I wasnt sure about ordering from the link you sent me on ebay, as it comes from Hong Kong so i could get stung with duty and the post office fee for this, which would pretty much double the cost of buying it! Do you know anyone who's ordered via this route, and did they get stung?! From what i can gather, its pot luck!

Not sure if you knew or if its relevant, but i was told today that Canon will be seperceding the s100 shortly.

thanks again

Adam

October 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Adam,

I find it odd that they wont sell you one. Just tell them that you own a Nikon!

As for the Hong Kong adapters. I have ordered one and am waiting for it to arrive, so I'll let you know how I get on. I'm sure the duty wouldnt be excessive, so I'm happy to take the chance. And yes, in my experience it is hit or miss!

It doesnt surprise me to hear that the S100 is being replaced in the near future. Nothing is new for long nowadays is it?!!

Regards,

Danny

--
October 2, 2012 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Adapter update

I recieved it today 05/10/12.

No customs charge, took about a week to get here!

--
October 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dr_ADH

ah cool, thanks for that!  Do you happen to know if the one you ordered will also fit the Nikon P310? Would love to know how you get on with the P310 as a camera, as budget wise am thinking of going for this camera.  Would you mind letting us know?  have to say tis great what you do on this forum, credit due to you, tis much appreciated.

best regards

Adam

October 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Thanks Adam,

I do my best to help as much as possible.

Like I said before, I should have a P310 on loan shortly. I'll try the adapter on it and let you know how it fits. 

I'm fairly confident it will fit though as they seem to fit most compacts of this shape and size.

Regards,

Danny.

--
October 6, 2012 at 1:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dr_ADH

Hi Danny

I thought I'd check in to see if you've had chance to try with the camera yet, and thus see if the adaptor works with it, and of course how well the camera actually performs?!

Out of interest have you ever used the swarovski snap shop adaptor with bins, as that looks an interesting little product?

best regards

Adam

November 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi again,

The adapter fits nicely on the P310. It should work quite well, and my friend is using his S95 on his Swarovski scope and DCA now and getting results.

I've not used the Swarovski binocular adapter, but only as I use Zeiss bins. I've not really tried digi binning. It doesn't appeal to me at all as I enjoy digiscoping so much!

The P310 is a good camera I think. It'll do a job, and the autofocus is very fast. For me tho, in terms of spec, the Canon S100 and S110 are far superior. However, if you're looking to start out then keep your costs lower and using the P300/P310 will accomodate that.

Good luck!

Regards,

Danny.

--
November 23, 2012 at 7:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dr_ADH

Hi Danny

I was liaising with you some time ago over getting a camera for digiscoping with my ATS80HD scope.  For various (life!) reasons I never bought a camera at the time, but am now wanting to crack on and get stuck in.

Since our comms, the S110 has become established and Nikon have released the P330.  Where are you on the relative merits of the S100 vs the S110, as there seems to be quite a debate over the 2?  Could you use the wifi on the S110 to remotley control the camera on your smartphone, and if so, this is a real advantage yes?  But does this require wifi where you are, which in itself isnt actually that useful out in a field?!

And how does the new Nikon compare, as I understand it's got a comparable sensor now?

best regards

Adam

June 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi again! 

Ive not used either camera but going on their previous models I'd go with the Canon. For me, ease of use is better than anything else, and the S100 worked better for me than the P310.

as for wifi, you would need a wifi hotspot to be able to use the cameras wifi in the field. By, if I'm being honest that's not important right now. Getting yourself set up is what u need to do and trying to get your first pictures. Digiscoping may not be for you, but you won't know until you've tried!

Ponce you are ready to go let me know and we can take the next step :)

)regards,

Danny.

--
June 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dr_ADH

Hey Danny,

thanks again.  AM deciding between the S100 and S110.  I see you use a SRB griturnt cable release to stop shake. 
Is this also neccesary kit?  Or might the touch screen on the S110 help with minimising shake do you think (leading me to choose the S110 over the S100, as fom what i read it doesnt seem the picture quality is any diff)?

Just trying to keep to a minimum the amount of stuff I have to carry in my backpack,as I generally head out on a motorbike, and it's already huge!!!

thanks again

Adam

June 25, 2013 at 7:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

I would consider the SRB shutter release absolutely vital. Camera shake ruins pictures so keeping your hands off the camera whenever possible is a must.

Using a touch screen shutter would only increase shake I'm afraid. 

--
June 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dr_ADH

Ah OK, that sorts that then!

Thanks again Danny

best regards

Adam

June 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dr_ADH

Hey Danny

I did my initial try of my digi set up in my back garden today.  Very exciting!

However, I have a couple of things I'd like to ask if that's OK. 

I took your advice and went for the canon s110 camera with the jackar adaptor.  The ring on the adaptor is only just bigger than the camera lense housing that pops out when you turn it on, so when you use it, do you turn the camera on before fitting the adaptor, and do this each time you use it?  I thought I might be able to attach the adaptor to the camera and leave it on permanently, but when I tried this, it had not quite aligned right and it stopped the lense opening fully.  This is obviously  not something one should be doing.  Would be great to hear what you do regarding this and what you advise.

When I attached it all to the scope and zoomed the camera to 5x (the optical), there was still a bit of vignetting; should this be the case as far as you know?

Best regards

Adam

July 9, 2013 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi,

Can you adjust the length of the adapter sleeve so that it allows more camera lens extension? You should be able to do this. There is a ring to lock it all in place as well I believe. You should be able to leave it on the camera, but yes, you may just have to check alignment a little. This is part of the trade off with digiscoping im afraid!

I wouldnt zoom the camera as far as 5x. Set your scope on about 25-30x mag, and then only zoom the camera as much as you need to, to get past the vignetting. If you zoom the camera and scope to much you will lose a lot of light, and accuracy when focussing.

The less you zoom, the faster (or more light let through) your set up will be and it should work better.

See how you get on with adjusting the adapter.

Regards,

Danny

--
July 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.