Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Compact Choice - What a nightmare!!!

Mr Tangerine Man

Hi there.

I think I might have found your site just in time!

I have a Kowa Prominar TSN-603ED scope with 30x Wide lens (which I'm very happy with) and have been dabbling with digiscoping using a dated Pentax Optio SV compact (handheld) with 'adequate' results.

The camera's now nearing the end of it's useful life and I'm looking to upgrade to a better compact - the plan was to get something which would both stand alone with a decent optical zoom and also doubl up as a digiscoping camera.

My short list has/had(!) 3 on it -

Panasonic Lumix DMC-T27EB-K 14.1 Megapixels 20x Optical Zoom

Canon Powershot SX260HS   12.1 Megapixels 20x Optical Zoom

Nikon Coolpix S9200 16 Megapixels    18x Optical Zoom

However dipping into your website & forums my naivety has become apparent - I thought all compacts would work with all scopes if set up right, but this would seem not to be the case and the suggestion that powerful zooms tend not to work is a worry too.

Any advice you can offer will be very gratefully received.

Cheers

December 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch.

There are plenty of options, but yes, big zooms do not work. 3-5x zoom is as much as you should look for when choosing a compact.

The key really is connection.

I must be honest and say that I've never owned or digiscoped with a Kowa set up. However, depending on your eyepiece model (do you have the model number please?) then you could try using the TSN-DA1 with the TSN-DA4.

I tried this set up at the Rutland Birdfair and its pretty simple yet effective.

It would depend on your eyepiece though I think! If you do have the model number I'll try to advise further.

I'm not sure if you are on Facebook, but if you are look up the digiscoping group page and make contact with Paul Hackett. He is recognised as one of the UK's best digiscopers, and he also works for Kowa and knows all of their products inside out. He could help you.

I hope this helps a little and I'll try to help you more if I can.

Regards,

Danny

--
December 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr Tangerine Man

Hi Danny.

Thanks for the  prompt reply.

I've had a look at the eyepiece but can't find a model number on it at all - it just says Kowa 30x Wide.

Yes I am on Facebook so will give Paul Hackett a try.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Dave

December 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

No problem Dave!

I'm fairly confident that the adapter combination would work with your eyepiece, but check with Paul if you can just to be sure.

Send me some pics when you get some, it'd be nice to see some of your work :)

Regards,

Danny.

--
December 8, 2012 at 3:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.