Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Christmas Gift

irma

Fantastic site here!  I know nothing about scoping but the little i know I learned here!
My husband has a digiscope on his Christmas wish list and I need help.  This would be a new hobby for him but he's a keen outdoorsmen so I'm sure he'll take to it.  I looked at the Prostaff 5 digiscope kit but I don't like that it does not have the ED feature and also my husband alreday has a camera - the sony NEX-5N so buying another seems a waste of money.  I would like something he can grow with but don't want to spend more then £600.  Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

December 10, 2012 at 8:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I must be honest and say that I've not digiscoped with this particular camera. However, I have seen others using these new 4/3 style cameras.

I know you were not keen on the prostaff kit, but it could serve a good purpose. It is a ready made set up that is right in your price bracket. Digiscoping isn't like using a camera on its own and I feel a learner may struggle to get to grips with using a top end camera straight away.

A decent scope with ed glass will cost a few £'s and then there is the issue of the lens that your husband would need to use or T2 mount. Connection of camera to scope so that it will all work is always key.

Having used the prostaff kit I can say that it's perfect for a beginner and then, as and when your husband progresses he can upgrade his equipment.

If you are on Facebook then take a look at the Digiscoping page. Someone on there may be able to advise on your husbands exact camera, but I worry it will confuse you at this stage.

Alternately you could buy him one of my Digiscoping lessons. They are aimed at people who aren't sure about Digiscoping and gives the student an opportunity to try both compact and DSLR set ups.

I hope this helps a little, and sorry if I've ran on a bit!

Regards,

Danny :)

--
December 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

irma

Danny, thank you so much for getting back so quickly!  Ok, so now I'm leaning towards the prostaff 5 kit.  A class with you would be amazing.  Where are you located?

December 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

No problem! I try to reply quickly!

Im located in Lowestoft, Suffolk but I run my courses at RSPB Minsmere.

--
December 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

irma

Thanks for that!  Any suggestions on the best place to purchase the nikon digiscope.  Last question I pomise!

December 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Try Uttings Outdoors, I'm fairly sure that they sell this kit :)

--
December 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.