Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Tips > DSLR setup

Charles

Hi I am new to digiscoping, although an experienced photographer. For digiscoping I am trying to use a Hawke ED65 scope with a Canon 50D. I have found directly connecting the camera to the eyepiece means I need really good light conditions. I have been experimenting by connection the 50D via a Canon 50mm fixed lens. I can't work out the settings though :o Do I use a manual setting or aperture priority? When using aperture priority I get terrible over exposure, and when manual I have to underexposed a phenomenal amount to get anywhere near correct eXposure. So, I am very keen to hear from experienced digiscopers as to how I go about this. I have a week on a Welsh mountain next week so hoping to get the settings sorted to then practice :)

December 20, 2012 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Charles,

Thanks for a very interesting post! My immediate thought is 65mm objective!

Its not impossible to digiscope with a 65mm scope, but it does make things harder. I'd struggle for light using my Canon, 50mm lens and my 80mm objective, so it doesn't surprise me when you say that you struggle with the light.

One important point though is light in general. It would seem you are used to the parameters surrounding conventional photography, but digiscoping isn't like that. Its a constant trade between camera settings and the given conditions. Because of the higher zooms involved apertures are small and shutter speeds are generally slower. Having a good sunny day is always essential as you'd know, but its even more vital with digiscoping.

I always use aperture priority mode. Letting the camera choose the shutter speed helps my technique. I can then concentrate on using the compensation and ISO to control my exposures.

Its worth mentioning that my 80mm scope and directly connected DSLR has a fixed aperture of f10, and most 65mm come in at around f13.

I've always found connecting via a lens reduces light even more and makes focussing harder owing to all the glass in the set up.

I hope this reassures you, your problems are not uncommon for a learner. I can only suggest that you practise as much as possible in as good a conditions as possible.

A good exercise would be to experiment on a chimney stack. They are often against a bright back drop which will help with light, they are stationery too which will help with focussing. Try a few pics on various ISO's and by adjusting the exposure compensation. You will see upon review how the pictures change and it will help you to understand how digiscoping with a DSLR is possible :D

I hope this helps, and do come back with pics and more questions if you need too!!

Regards,

Danny.

--
December 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.