Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Tips > Canon 500D & Brunton

Larry

Greetings...

I have a Brunton Eterna 20-60X80mm ED angled spotting scope & I’m looking for settings for my Canon 500D. I purchased a Telescope Eyepiece Adapter (E-adapter) from ebay  for my Canon 500D that connects to the camera base. This is then connected to a tube mount & then to an eyepiece adaptor. I attached the adaptor to the outside of the scopes 's rubber eyepiece(50mm).  I've been using AV setting with average results but the little instructions that came with the adaptor said to use M setting.  Your thoughts?

The spotting scope itself works great & I would compare it to Nikon’s, Kowa’s & Swarovski’s I’ve looked through @ sporting goods store but can’t afford.

Any & all help is appreciated. I wish I lived closer,(Omaha, NE),so I could take your Digiscoping class.

Larry

January 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Larry,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Dannys Digiscoping forum :)

Could you email me a picture of your set up to danny@dannysdigiscoping.com please?

It sounds a bit fangled together, but I'll try to advise you!

I've done a little bit of research and there doesn't seen to be a dedicated adapter for your scope. The scope however looks like its pretty high spec, so it should help with digiscoping as long as we can get the camera end of things sorted.

I still own and have used an EOS 500D for most of my digiscoping career, so I know it well. I too shoot in Av mode. The aperture of the set up will be limited as there is no canon lens in the set up. You wouldn't really want one in there anyway as they can cut down light and make focussing harder.

When I'm using my Canon in Av mode I use the ISO and the exposure compensation to adjust the shutter speed thats chosen by the camera. Remember that you can't fully adjust the aperture as you would if a conventional lens was attached. Your set up I'm guessing would have a base aperture of around f10, which is quite dark. Using the exposure compensation (press and hold the Av button on the rear of your camera and rotating the command wheel) you can adjust the aperture by + or - 2 f stops so equivalent to f8 to f12. When you do this you can see the shutter speed changing. Now the trick is to balance this with your ISO and the conditions outside. Increasing ISO will increase your shutter speed, but it will make your images more noisy, so try not to do this unless the outside light is failing you. 200-400 ISO is normally enough.

Its not easy to explain in text how to balance exposure, but you can try taking a series of pictures on a still subject such as a chimney stack. Take the same picture, lots of times with different ISO settings and vary your exposure compensation. When you look back at the pictures you will see the differences in exposure and shutter speeds. After a while you'll start to understand how to control this exposure. Always make sure you test your surroundings by taking a picture on standard settings. Exposure comp in the middle on 0, ISO 200, and then see what you get. From there you have to work out how to get the correct exposure by adjusting your camera.

The key all round tho is practise lots, and dont expect any great shots for a while. Your post sounds like many others I get from beginners, but taking time to learn is so important, and then the good results will start to follow eventually.

I hope this helps :D

Keep in touch,

Danny.

--
January 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry
When I take a pic in Av mode, in the lower right hand corner of my Canon T1i it says 'Exp Sim' & it won't let me take a pic. Is there a way to get it off so I can take the pic? Larry
January 31, 2013 at 1:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Larry,

Exp sim is a feature that tells the camera when it's going to under expose. You will need to adjust your camera using ISO and exposure compensation to make exposure possible. Try aiming at a chimney stack against the sky and you should see that the extra light will help combat the exp sim warning from causing you a problem, but bottom line is when you see this then you need to let more light in.

This is all part of learning to digiscope. Learning how to control exposure is key. Learn and practice this and you will succeed.

Let me know how you get on :)

Regards

Danny

--
January 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.