Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Sticky: Triopo DG-3 Gimbal Head Pan Control Adjustment

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hello all,

I have recently purchased one of THESE

Its a really good gimbal, but its a little vague on instructions!

From what I can work out its nearly identical to the Wimberley WH-200, which is a real plus as Wimberley are the brand for gimbal heads.

You can download the Wimberley instruction manual HERE

My main reason for posting this was because I was worried that the panning was far to fast thus making simple operation quite hard. It needed to be tightened up, but because there were no instructions or a manual to download I was a little worried that it couldn't be tightened.

However, there is a way to tighten the pan control up. There are 4 torque spline (star shaped) screw heads on the bse of the DG-3. The 3 small ones must not be removed, but the large one in the middle can be adjusted. I didn't realise when I put the DG-3 on my tripod head that I needed to loosen this first and then screw it on tight to attach gimbal to tripod. Once everything is tight you have to tighten it even more. This will then adjust the pan control. All you have to do is tighten/loosen this screw until you are happy with the resistance of the pan control.

The Wimberley instructions say to use an alan (hex) key. As I said earlier, you'll need a torqe spline to tighten/loosen the DG-3. The type of torque spline that you use will need to have a hole in it. When you look at the top of the bolt you will see a bit in the middle, and that is why you need a torque spline with a hole in it.

This is a poor picture of the torque spline (size T40) that you will need and the adjustment screw on the DG-3 gimbal head base. I hope it helps.

I really enjoy using my DG-3 now I've worked this all out. At a cost of £160 plus £40 for a longer QR plate (arca swiss style fit) I'd say it was good value too.

If you need any help with this please get in touch,

Regards,

Danny.

--
February 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric

Hi,

First of all, thanks for accepting me in this forum.

I also just recently bought a Triopo DG-3 from Amazon and am looking for people with experience on them. Mine came in a plain brown box so I'm not sure if that is how they should really be.

My concern on my gimbal head is that when I tighten either of the knob, I can feel that something inside is scraping when I move the respective pivots they are supposed to hold.  That is, if I lock the horizontal knob at the bottom, I can still rotate the gimbal head and there seems to be something scraping inside.  Also, there are points where I can totally lock it and there are points where it will still rotate even when locked.  On the vertical axis, it locks with no problem but also seems to have some scraping inside when you don't lock it tighly.  Is this the same experience you have with your gimbal head?  Overall, I like the external quality of the gimbal head as it looks better built than the cheaper ones.  Only problem is the concern I have on the internals.

Hope to hear your experience on your gimbal head.  By the way, my gimbal head has ruler markings on both sides of the vertical arm and also has a large Triopo name printed on the flat side.  I noticed that the link you posted here doesn't have those.  I'll try to post photos of the Triopo DG-3 I got.

February 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Eric,

No problem, thank you for taking the time to post.

It sounds like you have some issues there.

For me, if the gimbal head is meant to be locked then it should be locked, no question.

Mine too came in a brown box, with some foam to support the gimbal head. Mine came from Ebay, Hong Kong I think, and was a bit cheaper than the UK sites. I wasn't expecting too much, but mine seems to be ok. I have no scraping, and it locks solid where and when I want it to.

The only issue I had was that the pan setting was too loose, so I tightened it, hence my post.

The scraping that you're describing sounds bad, so I'd return it to Amazon and get them to swap it. I must say that I'm naturally wary of these "other" gimbl heads, and Wimberley aren't the best for no reason, but I was bouyed by the fact that Amazon and Warehouse Express both stocked these heads, so I thought that must count for something.

My gimbal does have the markings that you mention. You can see them on the pictures on my homepage.

I hope this helps a little,

Regards,

Danny.

--
February 23, 2013 at 3:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the quick reply and thank you for sharing with me your experience with your DG-3.  It's good that I bought mine at Amazon so returning will be easy.  Bad thing is it's already out of stock on Amazon US. :(

I also saw the postings on Ebay but is wary about the trouble of returning them.  So now, I'm not sure if I'll return mine and buy from Ebay or just live with the issues.

Anyway, thanks again for taking time to answer my question.

More power to your site!

Regards,

Eric

February 23, 2013 at 11:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

My pleasure Eric,

I hope that you get your issues sorted out ok.

Best wishes,

Danny

--
February 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric

Hi Danny,

Here I am again with a question.

There seems to be a gasket of some sort on my gimbal that I don't see on the online photos of the DG-3.  So just want to see if your unit also has this.  I just want to be sure that my unit is not a returned and refurbished one (since it's the last unit and is now out of stock from the Amazon seller).

The "gasket" on my unit is grayish brown in color (looks like an car engine gasket).  Online photos of the gimbal does not show anything like this (or at least not this color or material).

Thanks for your patience.

February 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

No problem Eric,

Great picture, it really helps. My DG-3 does NOT have this gasket.

Regards,

Danny.

--
February 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric

HI Danny,

Thanks for your patience in answering my questions.  I hope that this thread will be able to help others when buying the Triopo DG-3 as much as it helped me.

More power to your site!

Best regards,

Eric

February 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fourmi

Eric at February 23, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Hi,

First of all, thanks for accepting me in this forum.

I also just recently bought a Triopo DG-3 from Amazon and am looking for people with experience on them. Mine came in a plain brown box so I'm not sure if that is how they should really be.

My concern on my gimbal head is that when I tighten either of the knob, I can feel that something inside is scraping when I move the respective pivots they are supposed to hold.  That is, if I lock the horizontal knob at the bottom, I can still rotate the gimbal head and there seems to be something scraping inside.  Also, there are points where I can totally lock it and there are points where it will still rotate even when locked.  On the vertical axis, it locks with no problem but also seems to have some scraping inside when you don't lock it tighly.  Is this the same experience you have with your gimbal head?  Overall, I like the external quality of the gimbal head as it looks better built than the cheaper ones.  Only problem is the concern I have on the internals.

Hope to hear your experience on your gimbal head.  By the way, my gimbal head has ruler markings on both sides of the vertical arm and also has a large Triopo name printed on the flat side.  I noticed that the link you posted here doesn't have those.  I'll try to post photos of the Triopo DG-3 I got.

Hi all,

I have registered here especially for the reason of warning others about this gimbal head.

My experience not only mirrors Eric's, but is much worse: I've just received the head (from Poland, I'm in Romania) and I eagerly mounted it on the tripod. My trouble begun shortly when i tightened the pan (bottom) knob: first I heard some scraping sounds, then it all broke. It seems that here are several parts comprising this pan system: the knob itself, some cylinder threaded both on the outside and on the inside. The knob's screw screws into this cylinder which screws into the main body of the gimbal head. The cylinder is cimented to the body, but the whole system doesn't stand a chance when tightened, and the ciment will break.

Now I have to send the head back to Poland, for God knows how long, but the biggest problem is that I can't unscrew the gimbal from the tripod.

Don't fool yourselves thinking it won't happen to you. I too liked the good price but ended up with 2 kg of garbage.

Just out of curiosity, Eric, how's your gimbal hangin'?

June 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Fourimi,

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I can honestly say that I've had no problems so far, but that could change!

You'll need a tool called a Torque Spline to remove the head from the tripod. Its pictured above on my earlier post. Just get one and loosen the head. I too thought I couldnt remove it, but when I investigated I found that I could.

I hope things work out for you, and thanks for your post and advice.

Regards,

Danny.

--
June 6, 2013 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.