Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Tips > Afocal Photography

Grundy

As I am mainly using a camera with lens that needs to be aligned with the spotting scope eyepiece, I prefer to make adapters from lens extension rings, stepping rings & spacers that can be purchased for a few pounds & that generally don’t need to be machined on a lathe or cost a fortune.

My main aim has always been to use the camera in full auto-focus. To me this then left me with one main adjustment.

“The magic distance to leave between the end of the camera lens & the end of the eyepiece”

I then discovered that you could use a mask fitted to the scope to aid setting up the optimum focus distance between the lens & the eyepiece.The mask had a name it was called a Hartmann mask & that a template generator could be found:

To be able to share this idea with other like minds I have published a website at www.grundydigiscoping.co.uk

Ihope that you find the information of interest

Good Luck

March 12, 2013 at 3:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi there,

Thank you so much for such an excellent contribution to my Forum. I do hope you'll check back from time to time to help others.

I'm not great with maths at all I'm afraid, but I see some genius in your workings and would love to know more. I too own Swarovski equipment and would love to see if any of my cameras could work better.

Some of your pictures are simply lovely too, so it must work for you.

Whereabouts are you based? It would be great to meet so that you could show me what you have learned :)

I can only congratulate you on the amount of work that you have done.

Best wishes,

Danny.

--
March 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grundy

Dannys Digiscoping at March 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Hi there,

Thank you so much for such an excellent contribution to my Forum. I do hope you'll check back from time to time to help others.

I'm not great with maths at all I'm afraid, but I see some genius in your workings and would love to know more. I too own Swarovski equipment and would love to see if any of my cameras could work better.

Some of your pictures are simply lovely too, so it must work for you.

Whereabouts are you based? It would be great to meet so that you could show me what you have learned :)

I can only congratulate you on the amount of work that you have done.

Best wishes,

Danny.

Hi Danny

We have met at Lackford Lakes a few times usually looking for the Kingfisher. I am based in Diss so if you want to have a get together to try out your Swarovski scope with different cameras & lens just e-mail me at johnyaxley01@tiscali.co.uk

Many thanks for your interest & kind comments

Regards

John

March 15, 2013 at 4:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

I think perhaps you mean you've met my friend Barry? But yes, Diss is plenty close. We'll sort something out in the summer when there's some light...hopefully...!!

--
March 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.