Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > vignetting problem

dave88

hello danny, im a newbie to digiscoping, having read an article on jack the hat website by you, i thought i would dicuss my problem with you ,my present equiment is a praktica 25-75x90  p90 scope , and a ricoh GX100 compact which boasts full range of manual settings and manual shutter release, thecamera has a 5.1-15.3 mm lens(24-72 mm equivalent of 35mm,),..in your article you say the best compact lenses for digiscoping are 7-24mm , is that the zoom range?, or am i barking up the wrong tree?,anyway when i set up system to use with a universal adapter i get vignetting as you would expect, and i can get rid of it ,but only at full optical zoom on the camera ,do you think there is a mismatch between camera and scope?, if so  can you suggest any cameras that might suit, bearing in mind the need for manual functionality, price etc .i have been looking at the praktica DCZ 10.2, but i need some technical expertise to help solve my problem , i would welcome any advice given , in the future a scope with ED OPTICS might be possible , but not at present ,(limited funds), thanking you in anticipation ,dave(8))

--
Dave
April 18, 2013 at 4:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dave88
--
Dave
April 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dave88

am using a fuji a235 compact  at the moment , looking promising.....

--
Dave
April 18, 2013 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Dave,

Set your scopes eyepiece to about 35x

When you align your camera make sure that the camera lens is as close to the eyepiece as possible (after you've turned the camera on) You may need to zoom a little & make sure that the camera lens and eyepiece dont touch. By slowly zooming your camera and adjusting it back and forth  you may be able to reduce the amount that you have to zoom to relieve your vignetting.

The GX100 should be ok to digiscope with. I know a couple of digiscopers that have used them successfully. I however have not, so I cannot say exactly what they are like to align, but this is what I would do.

See how you get on, and get back in touch with your findings so that I can try to help more.

Regards,

Danny

--
April 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dave88

thanks danny will give tt a try

--
Dave
April 21, 2013 at 6:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dave88

danny , still messing about trying different things , slowly getting better, camera pisitioning is the main problem , just got a decent tripod and ball head from red snapper  need to do some trials over bank holiday ,all the best...

--
Dave
May 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

dave88

just bought canon dslr , will give me options in the future , dave

--
Dave
May 15, 2013 at 8:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dave88

hi danny back after very long time , things have changed for the better , now own opticron es 80 ga ed scope and canon 600d digital slr , will be needing adapter set up for digiscoping , not really clear what i need and possible cost, could do with some advice here , thanks in anticipation ,dave edwards ........

--
Dave
September 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner
Hi Dave, Try the Opticron 40215 adapter. It should fit your scope and you will need a canon EOS T2 adapter. A pointer for you for the future is when you're picking a scope for Digiscoping with its really important to find out if it has adapters made for it for Digiscoping. Luckily the opticrons normally do, but that's not always the case! Best wishes, Danny.
--
September 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

dave88

thanks danny , im having good time trying compacts out at the moment ,,, thanks again ...

--
Dave
September 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.