Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Advice on the best camera.

dgethin

I am very new to Digiscoping, I have purchased a Celestron Ultima Refractor 80 - 45 angled scope, and a Celestron Universal Digital Camera Adapter, to go with my (already owned) Panasonic Lumix TZ5 camera.
I am having a some problems with vignetting. Since I bought the scope I have found that the Lumix camera is not very suitable for digiscoping.
I am having my 65th birthday soon, so my wife is going to buy me a new camera.
I would like to know what is the best camera to go with my Celestron scope.
I am sure some of the experts will give me some suitable advice.
Many Thanks.

June 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi, Thanks for your question!

I'm glad that you have worked out what vignetting is, and that your camera isn't suitable (this is probably because of the large zoom.

Ideally, when picking a compact camera for digiscoping the optical zoom should be no greater than 5x.

I know I am biased, but I would suggest trying the Canon Powershot S100 or S110 (I use the S100) It is an excellent all around camera and works well with digiscoping.

I would also suggest buying one of THESE

You will need a shutter release system to reduce camera shake. Also, with the universal style adapters sometimes the camera lens is too low for the eyepiece so its handy to have a spacer (or spigot) inbetween adapter and camera. This shutter release system does both jobs!!

See how you get on, and if you want to know more please get in back in touch!

Good luck,

Regards,

Danny.

--
June 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.