Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > New - Need Info

Pat

Hi Folks!  I have been wanting to try digiscoping, but only just found this site.  I hope someone can tell me if I can give it a shot with some old equipment.

I have a 60mm Bushnell spotting scope (very old),  a Canon Rebel T1i DSLR, and a Canon Powershot A560.

I want to experiment before I buy anything too expensive.  I cannot afford the larger telephoto lens for my DSLR.

If it is posible with what I have, how could I go about finding an adapter?

July 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner
Hi, Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your questions. I think both your cameras would be ok for Digiscoping, your DSLR for sure. To test your compact simply turn it on and align it with yours scopes eyepiece. You should see a tunnel like effect on the cameras LCD. If you can zoom past the black area (vignetting) and leave a clear picture on your LCD then it is ok for Digiscoping. The main problem for you is connection of camera to scope. It'll have to be a universal style adapter for both cameras, that will attach to the outside of your scopes eyepiece. I'll post some links in a little while to help guide you. Once you see the adapters you'll understand more! I'll come back to you on this v soon. Regards, Danny.
--
July 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Here is the rest of the info for you as promised.

An idea for a universal adapter

Click the link

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/digiscoping_brackets/digi-scoping_adapters_and_brackets.htm

Scroll down to the Microstage adapters. They come in 2 different sizes so you'll need to see how wide your eyepiece is. This is a very basic adapter but its good enough to let you try tour compact without breaking the bank.

As for your DSLR look at one of these

http://www.dannysdigiscoping.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3992470

Its very simple, I'd just need your eyepiece diameter and then that'd be it! Again, a cheap solution to help you get decided if digiscoping is for you without breaking the bank!!

I hope this helps,

Regards,

Danny

--
July 15, 2013 at 4:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pat

Thank you for the info, Danny.  I will try with my compact camera as you described.  What is the price of the Micro stage adapter converted to US dollars?

Thank you,
Pat

July 15, 2013 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Its around $45 I think.

Try to get one on the American market. It'll be cheaper than getting one mailed. I used the link as an example to show you what I meant!

Regards,

Danny

--
July 16, 2013 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muleyman

If you can get into Eagle Optics in Middleton Wisconsin, they will have a large selection of adapters.

They will also have at least a couple people on the staff that are digiscoping enthusiasts.

Also, when you try it out, and decide that you enjoy it, they can help you get into a set up that will work with your specific equipment in the future. Plus, in the store you can compare options.

This "digiscoping" is a legitimate thing. There are so many people doing it. You wont be the first person to walk in there with questions. 

Heck, I bet you wouldn't even be the first person this week. 

I talked to a guy from Illinois this weekend, he bought his set up from Eagle optics and he said the expirience was excellent.

It sounds to me like what you really want is a super telephoto camera lens.

But, you just can't justify the purchase.

To be honest, I was in the same boat.

Trying to replace a super telephoto camera lens with a spotting scope is not an easy or simple thing to do.

But, if you are a determined person with motivation to "make this work" you can do it.

No doubt you are going to dislike the results in the start. Its going to take time and practise.

I hope that you dont give it a try, dislike the first few results you get and then give it up.

It can be done. You can see results all over the internet. 

The best part is, places like this site are here to help you get through the learning process. Danny and others here will help you until you are happy with the results you are getting.

I look forward to seeing what happens.

July 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kwcahart

A company called "novaguard" just announced a new adapter for Nikon and Canon DSLR cameras.   Eagle optics has them on their web site for $149.  I think it would work for your T1i and Bushnell 60.  It is supposed to fit over the eyepiece of just about any scope and has a canon mount on the other end. 

August 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.