Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > help for a newb digiscope user basic gear matching

hammyuk

hi,

just started getting into digiscoping as of 2 weeks ago

kit is a nikon d5100 70-300mm lens and a 18-55mm lens

a Vanguard Endeavor 82A scope

cheap mount , a pa201 dslr adapter.

would anyone say this is a good setup ?  i'm still in the process of waiting for a few bit to arrive like the shorter lens etc.

does anyone zoom right into say x60 and get good results as the vanguard seems to have real issues getting a good sharp focus beyond x30  or would you say its fauly/misaligned.

beaker.baz has been helping me out allot i though i'd ask him first due to him being used to nikons and i've seen his results.

thanks in advance.

July 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner
Hi there, Barry is a good friend of mine and has worked very hard to get the best from his Nikon. I think you should directly connect your Nikon to your adapter using a Nikon T2 adapter. Connecting using a lens can cut down on light and make it harder to focus. You'll have to use your Nikon in manual mode only. As for scope magnification keep it on 30x zoom. Zooming makes focussing much harder and zooming also reduces your aperture, meaning loss of light. You'll need all the light you can get with Digiscoping! Get a T2 adapter, get set up and then come back if u need more help :) Good luck, Danny
--
July 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hammyuk

thanks,  how would i stop dust getting in the mirror on my dslr as the vanguard adaptor is open at the sides ( not 100% sealed )

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/834480-REG/Vanguard_PA_201_PA_201_Digiscoping_Adapter.html

the thin end screws over the vanguard eyepiece and the camera to the fat end.

July 17, 2013 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hammyuk

one last question i bought a t2 adaptor but the insert is too small it looks like a 42mm thread but the scope attachment is 58mm does anyone know where i can fin one  or another t2 with a bigget thread  the scope thread is 58mm,  i have tried amazon and google.

July 18, 2013 at 3:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

muleyman

Looks to me like the vanguard adapter that you have chosen is meant to attach to the filter threads on the lens of the camera.

I dont think you are going to take the lens off the camera and attach that with a T2 adapter.

Check vanguards web page.

You can see in the picture above, the camera attaches directly to the front of the lens. It uses the lens filter threads.

You wont need to keep dust from getting inside the camera. Also you wont need a T2 adapter.

What you do need is a camera lens with filter threads on the front end.

July 18, 2013 at 7:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner
I think that you have 2 choices here. Find out what size the thread on the vanguard adapter is and the get a stepping ring to match. It will probably be a 52-42mm size that u need. Or you can connect it as per the picture by attaching the vanguard adapter to the 18-55mm Nikon lens that you have. The lens will have a filter thread, and the size will be written on the end of the lens. It may be that the vanguard adapter screws directly into the end of your lens. If it doesn't, you will again need to find out the thread size of the vanguard adapter and then buy a stepping ring to match adapter thread to your lens filter thread. I really don't like connecting using DSLRs and lenses. I really don't think it works as well. But it's your choice. Once you know your thread sizes then let me know and I'll try to help you get the right stepping rings :) Regards, Danny.
--
July 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hammyuk

thanks for your help muyleyman,

danny  i'm still worried about dust getting in my dlsr tbh the fact the eyepiece and the direct mount nikon with a t2 adaptor is not 100% sealed from dust.

,   looking at your other posts   out the 3  would you get a canon 95   a 100   or a nikon p310,  the only other camera i have is a panasonic dmc gf3  micro 4 thirds with a 14-42 lens,  would it be any use ?

July 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner
Yes, it would be a worry I must admit. I adapter provides a solution, but not a great one from a DSLR point of view. I use and very much like my S100, so would naturally go for one of them. The problem there is again connection. All of the 3 cameras u mention have no filter threads or means of a simple connection. You would need an adapter that mounts to the base of the compact. There is an example in my store. You would then need a 37-58mm stepping ring to connect camera adapter to scope adapter. Can you tell me what size the thread is on the vanguard adapter please? As for your pano. The camera would work fine, but I'm not sure about the lens. You can try holding it up to the scopes eyepiece and then seeing if u can zoom past the vignetting using the cameras lens. If you can then it'll work, if you can't then it won't. Panasonic do make a 30mm lens tho, which I'm fairly sure does work ok for Digiscoping. You have options, and all could produce for you. Decide on whether its compact or DSLR route and then we can hammer out a good solution for you :) Regards Danny.
--
July 20, 2013 at 5:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hammyuk

thanks danny its looking like the compact route to be honest as there no local camera shops in humberside that are any use,   i'd like to try the 30mm panasonic lens  but it will be mail order £120  then it might not work.

regards the scope mounting it is a 58mm  and you get a screw on 54 adaptor ring.

i think i have bought about 5 step rings now all wrong  due to my in experience.

so yeah i deffo want to go the compact route price wise the  s110 is £20 more  but is it identical to the s100 ( fittings wise ) but a  few small options added ?

thanks allot

chris

July 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner
That's a good choice. You'll need an adapter that when attached will give your S110 a 37mm filter thread. Then all you should need is a 37-58mm stepper. The rest of your steppers may come in handy as you progress as you may need them for other set ups! You're nearly there. Keep patient!!
--
July 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

hammyuk

hi danny am i right in thinking i can like in lamens terms screw the canon straight onto the vanguard adaptor with a threaded thing,  or do i have to use one of then heath robinson universal camera mounts ?

cheers

July 21, 2013 at 4:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

You'll need one of THESE to create a 37mm filter thread that you can then attach to your vanguard adapter :)

--
July 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hammyuk

gah i give up , i got a brand new nikon d3100 with 18-55 nikon lens for £300 (as i did not want to use my d5100 on the scope as i need it for other photography) and my brother thought the d100 looked too messy on the end of the scope.

the vangaurd endeavour 82a is totally flawed as there are no adaptors to get a dslr to fit to the scope via a t2 adaptor, vanguard are totally clueless as i asked on there facebook page about adaptors and they said you also need a ta-101

ta-101 t2 adaptor by vanguard that screws onto the pa-201 to allow the dslr to connect which is rubbish its just an overpriced t2 with vanguard stamped on it so after paying £20 odd for next day special delivery as i wanted to test the damn thing i have had it 3 weeks now and still cannot connect it to a camera.

btw the 18-55 cannot zoom past the vignetting.

so moral of this is don't buy vanguard scopes for digiscoping with dslr and nikon. there tech support are useless ( 2 weeks to respond )

July 26, 2013 at 10:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.