Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Tips > Conditions and adjusting for them.

muleyman

I did a little digiscoping last night. 

The results were a lesson in conditions and adjustments.

It was late in the day.

If you look at this first picture, you can see the angle of the sun. 

There is no sun on the top of the back of the Pronghorn antelope. The sun is all coming from directly behind him. 

This is because the sun was setting and very low in the sky.

You can also see the his face is in the shade, but the lower half of his jaw is in the sun. 

This picture was taken at 30X magnification.

Even though the sun was not behind me, and the Pronghorn was not positioned well in the sun, I was able to get a decent shot.

My ISO was set to 200 and the shutter speed was at 1/400. The whitebalance was set to daylight.

That should be a focal length of 900mm.

Now contrast that to a picture I took a bit later. 

In this picture the sun had gone below the mountain, the animals were in the shade on the dark side of the hill.

There was no direct light anywhere near these animals.

Also, they were a VERY long ways away.

Due to the distance, I had to crank the zoom to 70X 

Now, I dont do that normally. I almost always shoot on 30X if I can.  Its rare for me to go above 40X. So 70X is stretching my limits of practise.

At 70X you get a drastic reduction in the light that is reaching the camera.  If you also factor in that there was no direct sunlight in this picture, you will begin to understand how difficult this was. 

In order to get anything out of this picture under these conditions I had to jump my ISO to 800 and drop the shutter speed to 1/60

Yes that is at 70X. I have not cropped this image, that is full size, as it was seen at 70X.

That should have given me a focal length of 2100mm.

Those Mule Deer bucks have as much deatil on them as the Pronghorn does, but with a lack of light and with an increase in distance, you loose all of that.

Neither of these pictures is excellent in quality.  The focus and framing of the Pronghorn is nice, but the way the sun is shading the photographed side leaves something to be desired.

The Mule Deer bucks have loads of issues. First, I had left my whitebalance set to daylight. I needed to have it set to shade.

Second the fine detail is missing. the depth of the colors is washed out, the distance involved makes framing a subject difficult.

So, there you have an example of how conditions cause me to struggle.

Getting all the elements just right, so that the picture comes out stunning is not easy. 

Some days I have great success, other days I get poor results. Thats the game. 

July 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.