Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Tips > The long distance game.

muleyman

So, the idea surrounding digiscoping is long distance.  Use the super powered spotting scope to take a close picture for a very long ways away.

I have been playing with this. 

Yeah, getting super detailed shots of birds from across a parking lot is nice, but how far can we MAKE this thing go and still get some quality?

So, I was reading in my owners manual. Keeping in mind, I was going to apply these things to digiscoping.

I came across the section where you "customize a picture style"

This seemed like a neat idea. I set up a custom setting. I didnt want to alter one of the standard settings.

I turned the sharpness all the way up.

I turned the contrast and saturation 3/4 of the way up.

I left the color tone where in the middle.

So, this morning, I was eager to try my new settings.

I woke up very early, before the sun came up, drove about an hour to a location where I knew i could do some really long distance shotting.

I got screwed!!!!

Crazy bad weather!  Wind, rain, no sun at all. It was totally overcast. Not one spec of sunlight in the entire sky.

Just dark, grey, and to make it worse, the wind kept blowing.

You couldnt get worse conditions for really long distance digiscoping.

But I am not one to give up.

I found a few subjects that were a reasonable distance. Tried out my new settings to see what the result would be like, given the conditions.

Now, other than cropping half the photo away, that is the original image.  

The Coyote was not moving, he sat there nice for me. But given the distance, the wind, the lack of light, and the rain, I will say that this is going to be a very neat tool.

I had the ISO set at 400 for this picture, the shutter speed was at 1/125, the white balance set to cloudy.

Not bad. 

I found another subject, it was hidden in the grass, even closer!

He was well hidden.  Not the best composition. I would have really enjoyed it if the weeds had not been in fron tof his face, If they had obscured the body only, that would have made for a very nice picture. 

But, you cant choose where you are when you get a shot. The rabbit needed to hide from the Coyotes anyways.

I was liking the results with this new setting, so I found a subject that was quite far away.

This is a picture of the subject taken with the TLS APO just for distance refrence. Its a terrible photo, it has no quality.

So, that little dark smudge in the red circle is this coyote. Actually a coyote and a carcass that it was feeding on.

I was pretty happy with that! Its a long distance shot. Its in focus, the color and detail is good. You can even tell it is wearing a GPS collar on its neck. I guess the wildlife officials are keeping an eye on this one.

Again, just a bit of cropping and thats the image the camera captured.

So, Now it is time to go out and see about some really long distance stuff.

This is when I showed up at this location.

Those little clumps of sage brush on that far hill are actually very large clumps of sage. 

There is about 12 Mule deer bucks in that very picture. They are just so far away that you cant see them. They are tiny dots that blend in very well to the human eye.

So, from this location on the road, you will see that up on the far hill there are deer. They will eventually crest the far ridge and skyline. 

Yes, that is a very long ways. 

If I were to park a car up there, you would need binoculars to tell for sure what it was.

So, under crappy conditions, and at long distance, lets see what we can do.

No arguments here. Its good enough to tell that one of those deer is missing half an ear, you can see how many points his antlers have.

Even a little bit of muscle definition.

From these pics, you can tell how much is actually up there. You cant see how big those bands of sage are, you cant pick out any of the rocks, but once you digiscope it, you get an idea of how far away the pics are taken.

Yeah, skyline. Almost to the top.

Now, for the important stuff.

You might not believe it, but I had the ISO set at 1600 for this pic. The shutter speed was 1/1250. Whitebalance on cloudy.

Those numbers might seem really extreme, and you might expect there to be a ton of noise at that ISO. But look at how dark the sky is. 

There is no light. At that kind of distance, with a moving subject, I can not have a slow shutter speed. I will get nothing but blurr. 

So, to compensate, I cranked up the ISO and cranked up the shutter speed. 

Not bad. Not the best picture ever taken, but good enough to please most viewers.

I am pleased given the conditions that I had to deal with.

Cant wait until there is some sun. I will be trying again.

July 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muleyman

I just did a quick google maps evaluation.

Looks like the distance of the deer pictures was 700 yards, or 640 meters, as an average.

Obviously the deer were moving, and the top of the ridge is further than where they started.

July 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.