Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > Brand New Member

kwcahart

I am brand new to digiscoping.  I have the following equipment; a Bushnell ED 20-60 X 80 Elite scope, and a Bushnell adaptor 780050, a "T" ring adapter for my Canon T2i.  It all fits together, but it just seems like the focus is a little off.  I have a very good quailty Manfrotto tripod and just bought a cable release for the T2i.  Is this setup going to work?  ANY advice would be very much appreciated.  Oh, I have to take the eyepiece off the Bushnell to connect the adaptor, so how do I know what the magnification of the scope is set to??  Thanks again for any help.  I'm thinking I may need to use a point and shoot camera with this scope.  ????

July 28, 2013 at 12:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi there, 

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your questions.

You have all the right equipment so it's just a case of practising now! 

The adapter you have replaces the eyepiece, and will prob have a magnification of around 25x. You will not be able to adjust the magnification of your set up. 

With practise you'll find that your images get better. It's perfectly normal to get lots of blurry, rubbish images when you are learning, I know I did!

Key for you now is to practise and learn about how to use your cameras settings. What shooting mode are you using?

Also, try taking some pics of something that doesn't move eg a chimney or fence. This will help you to practise focussing.

I hope this helps, and dont give up yet!

Regards,

Danny

P.S Don't worry about compacts for now!

--
July 28, 2013 at 7:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kwcahart

Thank you Danny, I really appreciate it.   I use manual mode on the T2i.   I went to a photography class in San Antonio yesterday, and quizzed the instructor.  He had never done digiscoping but he said the same thing that you did.  He advised that the scope, adaptor and camera is putting a pretty good load on the tripod so stability might be the issue.  He suggested using a monopod on the camera which would be the back end of the setup to really help steady it, and I think I will try that.  I do know that even though I do have a very good tripod, if I just touch the scope and or camera I can see it move.  Only problem with adding the monopod to the camera threads is that it will be a monster to adjust if your bird moves a little.    Also he suggested a cable release which I bought yesterday and I think this will help about 100%, because I know when I touch the shutter release I can see the entire rig move.  And I know I need to tighten down the tripod adjustments just a little.  I'll try this out tonight.  Thanks for your help. 

July 28, 2013 at 12:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Yeah, that monopod idea sounds a bit crazy, but I see the theory. You could try a balance rail so that you can offset the weight a little? I tend to use aperture priority. Manual is fine, but in ap priority you can use the exposure compensation to tweak the shutter speed. I find it really useful. Just something for you to think about in time :)

best wishes, 

danny.

--
July 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muleyman

When you focus, use the two buttons in the upper right corner on the back of the camera. 

You can magnify the view on the screen and then micro adjust the focus to get it sharp.

The other thing I am wondering is shutter speed and ISO. Spotting scopes are notorious for cutting out light.

Even the most expensive scopes dont give a lot of light to the camera.

Since you are shooting in manual, if your ISO is too low, your shutter speed might be too slow. Causing blur.

Try kicking up the ISO a notch or two. Then jump the shutter speed a bunch. See if that helps.

July 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kwcahart

That may be the problem, I will give that a try.  I sent the Bushnell adapter back for a refund, and I'm going to order a new adapter being sold by Eagle Optics made by novaguard(??) that looks like it will work much better.  I'll let you know how it works out.  I don't have to take the eyepiece off the scope to use this adapter and it is made for a Canon DSLR. 

August 16, 2013 at 8:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.