Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > NEED HELP! I KNOW NOTHING!

hannahinasamosa

Hi Everyone

I work with a marine conservation charity in Scotland. We need a digiscoping set up to observe fishing activity in our local bay (it is about 2km wide). We need a set up that is able to take clear images of boats names and fishing methods. We will also be using it to take pretty pictures of the local wildlife as well :)

We have a Fuji FinePix S8000fd camera already but nothing else. I was hoping you would be able to give me some adivse as to what set up we should get. Obvoiusly being a charity we are very constrained by money, so this is one of the major limitations. 

I would really appreciate any information anyone can give us. We are very new to digiscoping (having only discovered it even existed this mornining!!!) and there is just so much information out there we are a little overwhelmed. 

Thank you!

Hannah Thompson

COAST

July 30, 2013 at 6:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

TheBirdGarden

Hi & Welcome

Yes the amount of information is overwhelming

First off the Fuji FinePix S8000fd has an 18x zoom, a digiscoping rule generally is that you should have a camera with an optical zoom of around 3-4. This does not mean that your camera might not work but vignetting (a black circle) will become more susceptible, in my experience cameras seem to favour certain scopes too.

When I first started out money was a problem too so I set out to find the cheapest setup I could get without suffering from terrible image quality, my results from this can be found HERE (I state in the article that an expensive tripod is needed but I could be wrong, a cheap tripod should also work)

Many people have success with the Celestron range and are more friendly with digiscopers because they include t threads, (which is like a screw that with an adapter allows a camera to attach too) you can find them cheap HERE

Digiscoping uses alot of technical terms, which, if I am honest struggle with myself sometimes, if you have a hundred questions me or danny will be happy to answer them

--

July 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi there Hannah,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It sounds like you have some pretty specific goals.

Could I be as bold to ask you if I could come to you, in person with a couple of set ups to try out?

I can then show you the art of digiscoping, as well as us both finding out whether a digiscoping set up would fulfil your requirements?

I'd love to be able to help you by volunteering my time.

Email me directly if you like danny@dannysdigiscoping.com or call me on my mobile 07921 921103

I look forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

Danny

--
July 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hannahinasamosa

Thanks for the sppedy response! I am looking into your reccomendations and I will ask again once I know a bit more :)

We are super busy at the moment so I am trying to fit this all in.

Thanks

August 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Ok, No problem Hannah,

If you have any idea of your budget please let me know then I can try to advise accurately.

Ideally, I would prefer to come and see the location. Perhaps when things arent so busy for you we could arrange something?

Regards,

Danny

--
August 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.