Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Tips > The histogram.

muleyman

One thing that I have been using a lot is the histogram.

For those of you who have followed my journey into digiscoping,you know that overexpoing my images was something that has challenged me.

Using the histogram has helped with this a lot.

But, there is always a quirk when it involves digiscoping.

A typical histogram in traditional photography shows a nice even use across the graph, centered or slightly left of center.

I have found that due to the spotting scope and camera set up you have "special circumstances".

I wanted to show this, so I went out and took a few pics yesterday.

Now you might look at that and say, that looks good, go ahead and take that picture.

But, this is digiscoping. Look closer. You can see my ISO is only at 100. and my shutter speed is at 1/20.

1/20 on a flipping hummingbird in flight? 

No way! All I will get a a blurr of a hummingbird!  

But the histogram looks O.K.

This is the kind of thing that I was doing when I was getting washed out, overexposed images.

Thanks to Danny and all his patience, we have corrected this problem.

However, he has not fixed my insane desire to digiscope difficult subjects like hummingbirds.

Now, lets look at a digiscoping histogram that I am currently using.

You might be thingking, that is nutty.

But look at the shutter speed on that. 1/160 is a huge difference from 1/20.

The screen is blacked out, and you have to look real close to see the hummingbird on the screen. 

You might think that that image is going to come out all wrong.

These are the images I took, seconds later. With those exact settings and that histogram.

Yes, that is a hummingbird inflight, with those settings, digiscoped.

Now, you can see, these are not perfect.

After looking at these pics on the screen, i would normally have bumped the ISO up to 200 and then cranked the shutter speed until I got the histogram to read far left. 

I bet I would have been around 1/400 if I had bumped the ISO to 200.  That would have allowed me to capture more detail on the moving birds.

I could have reduced the blur on the lower half of this bird.

One thing to note. 

NO EDITING HAS BEEN DONE to these images. Other than cropping of course. 

I have adjusted no contrast, no saturation, no sharpness, no hue, no lightening or darkening. 

These are 100% stock images as they came out of the camera. 

The histogram would have you believe that these pictures should have come out dark and unusable.

With my specific set up, using the swarovski TLS APO, for some reason, the camera just loves to shoot far left on the histogram.

It just loves it. 

Even if I jump my ISO to 1600, the only way to not wash out the picture and over expose is to kick the shutter speed way up, until the histogram is stuffed all the way over to the left.

Its just a digiscoping quirk that applies to the equipment that I use. It might help you out as well.

July 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.