Digiscoping
Help,
Advice & Lessons for All!

Digiscoping Forum

Forum Home > Digiscoping Equipment > camera & lens

robin105

Hi, new to the forum, new to scoping and will be new to digiscoping when ive purchased all the gear,

ive purchased the Nikon Prostaff 5, 82A, with the sep25 lens as in Danny's review, for now i will be just using it as a scope until ive saved a few more pennies, i would be interested to know if the coolpix P310 in the review is the best camera to use ? bearing in mind i'm completely new to this and i 'm not sure how old the review is, maybe there is an improved version out now.

Also would it be a good idea to get the the sep 20-60 lens when using as a scope only,  and the sep 38w lens for digiscoping

cheers, andy

August 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

i think for now, as a beginner that just learning the technique is gonna be enough of a challenge for you.

Ease of connection is so vital, and with the pro staff kit you have everything to get learning!

The P310 is a pretty good compact, and as u progress you'll want better everything, not just cameras so be patient and learn and then look at different combinations :)

All the best,

Danny.

--
August 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

cheers Danny,  i'll start saving up for the 310 then..

Andy

August 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

So i'm assumimg the sep25 is the lens to use when diigiscoping as thats the one that comes if you buy the full package, also the kit you reviewed,  but do i need a more powerfull lens (ie sep38 or 20-60) when just using it as a spotting scope ?

Andy

August 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

I think the 20-60 will be great for observation purposes :)

Regards,

Danny

--
August 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

thanks for the advice Danny, 

August 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

Dannys Digiscoping at August 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

i think for now, as a beginner that just learning the technique is gonna be enough of a challenge for you.

Ease of connection is so vital, and with the pro staff kit you have everything to get learning!

The P310 is a pretty good compact, and as u progress you'll want better everything, not just cameras so be patient and learn and then look at different combinations :)

All the best,

Danny.

i havent even started yet and now ive seen this,  dont know if it is designed for digiscoping though ?

http://store.nikon.co.uk/productDetails.action?detailProductCode=BDA141YA&name=fieldscope-monarch-82-a-mf51

:roll:

August 19, 2013 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

It looks pretty nice. It says in the blurb that it can be used for digiscoping, tho I can't find any info on compatible adapters!

--
August 20, 2013 at 12:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

maybe they will let you test it danny ? i should be an expert on my prostaff 5 befiore i can afford that 

August 20, 2013 at 12:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

looks like these are the lenses - 

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/sport-optics/field/spotting-scopes/eyepieces-fieldscope/nep-eyepieces

adaptors - 

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/accessories/sport-optics/monarch-fieldscope-adapter-dsa-n2

http://www.europe-nikon.com/en_GB/product/accessories/sport-optics/monarch-fieldscope-adapter-fsa-l3

i'm pretty sure these have all appeared on the nikon site in the last day or 2. i'm not familiar with the cameras, are any compact's ? just looked, expensive compacts !

August 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Good detective work!

it looks like Nikon are focussing on DSLR digiscoping, as there appear to be no new compact adapters.

they look pretty slick to. I may try to acquire one, but Nikon aren't so keen on lending me their top end stuff! 

if I find out more i'll post it here!!

--
August 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kwcahart

I wonder if canon has anything like this in the works??  Anyone know? 

August 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner
Ok, email sent to Nikon top brass asking for a demo, but won't know anything for a while! As for the canon question I would assume that as canon do not have any top end scopes that Digiscoping isn't something they've thought much about! However, it's an interesting question and I will do some research into this! Good thread people, nice to see others bringing new products and discussion to the forum! Thanks, Danny
--
August 21, 2013 at 4:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

hi again, recieved my nikon p310 and fsb-8 bracket today, might get to have a little play tomorrow but er indoors says it has to go away for christmas :roll: 

dont know why i didnt think of it before but this last week, only from the kitchen door mind, ive tried just pointing my old compact, olympus 700 7.1 megapixels at the scope and got some surprisingly good shots considering, 

October 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

Sounds like a great solution until Xmas!!

--
October 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

Managed to pursuade the mrs i need to test out the new camera so have been playing about a bit over the weekend, was a bit daunted at 1st as it suddenly dawned on me that i have never really got on with camera's, because of the weather i decided not to go out in the field today for a 1st attempt, glad i didnt i would probably have been very disapointed and frustrated,

managed to get a few shots, mainly of birds on the bird table or feeders, couldn'y manage to get any decent shots of birds on the ground or in the trees as i couldnt find them, focus etc in time, a few on the ground that were okish, (in my opinion of course, probably very poor to you)

So i'm going to have a few more sessions at home before i go on any trips, conditions today where not very bright and windy, but i was indoors at the back door so that compensates i suppose,

so for the 1st time ever i have used a camera in any sort of "manual" mode, after using auto for a whilst i used aperture priority and used the compensation a bit to brighten it up a bit, probably took about 50 shots and this (if i can upload it) was by far my best, i havent done anyting to it at all, not even going to think about editing yet, i can crop and thats it,

[URL=http://s823.photobucket.com/user/anmuzdy/media/DSCN0078_zps2ad2fc1a.jpg.html][IMG]http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz156/anmuzdy/DSCN0078_zps2ad2fc1a.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'm quite optimistic now and looking forward to getting some shots with the subject in a more natural setting,

Andy

October 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dannys Digiscoping
Site Owner

It sounds like you are taking a very sensible route into this. Folk often rush and get confused, which leads to failure.

i think your image shows good early signs of learning. You've done well considering the conditions.

read up about aperture so that you begin to understand it and also play with your iso as it will help at times but it can hinder image quality.

Also, this will take time for you to learn, that's normal for everyone, so don't get down if it doesn't always go your way!

keep in touch tho, your blogs are great reading for all!

best wishes, 

danny

--
October 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

muleyman

Yeah, its kind of humorous to watch guys get into it.

Its funny only because we feel your pain!  People have NO IDEA how hard it is to digiscope until they try it.

They think it is just like a camera. You just "take the picture".  

Auto focus is the worlds greatest gift!

Digiscopers learn how hard wildlife photography must have been before the days of auto focus. 

One thing that I have noticed about the DSLR VS Point and shoot camers is the value of aperture prioroity.

With the point and shoot, you have a camera lens that does have the ability to change aperture.

Your camera might think it could do better with a smaller aperture and adjust that for you. But, because the spotting scope cuts out so much light, you will want to use the aperutre prioroity mode for sure.

This will ensure that you have the largest opening for light to get to the sensor.

With the DSLR with a lens removed, there is no lens to adjust aperture. 

With aperture priority, one thing that you might want to play with is bumping the shutter up a few speeds after focusing.

With aperture priority, the camera should automatically select a shutter speed based on the senors programming.  This programed selection is not desigend to be used through a spotting scope. 

The cameras programming is trying to compensate for the scope without realizing that it is there.

It just thinks the conditions are darker and more subdued than they really are. 

The scope actually does a better job than the camera is aware of. 

By letting it recomend a shutter speed, then making it a few levels faster, your image on the LCD will darken, but the pictures might come out with more depth to the colors. Less washed out.

Just focus, then bump the shutter up a few steps, take a pic, and review. then you will have to bump the shutter back down to have the lcd bright enough to re-focus again. 

Give it a try. Let us know what happens.

By the way, thats not a bad pic. Keep messing with it, it gets better, then it gets worse, then it gets better again.

October 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

thanks for the advice guys, i will try take it all on board, won't i have to go in full manual mode to adjust the shutter speed though ? thats a little bit scary at the momnent, 

what i did find a little frustrating was that as the subjects where fairly close, i had no room to zoom out, i took some shots of a wood pigeon sat on top of my arch, approx 5m away so could not ft the full bird in the frame, if izoomed out then of course the vignettting appeared again, 

[URL=http://s823.photobucket.com/user/anmuzdy/media/DSCN0094_zpsa7a9f317.jpg.html][IMG]http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz156/anmuzdy/DSCN0094_zpsa7a9f317.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

ps, still can't get the pics to load direct ?

October 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

robin105

Hi Danny, after reading muleymans reply on one of his tips threads and looking into the ISO adjustment, ive realised you can adjust the ISO on the Nikon P310 without having to go through the menu, you can asign ISO to the "fn" button, its a bit awkward to get to as theyve placed it at the front of the camera for some reason, don't have to be in full manual mode to adjust either so i can have a go in aperture priority mode, you can see it in the 1st pic of your "nikon prostaff review" 

not trying to pick faults with your reviews of course, 

October 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.